GFR issues

Posted , 7 users are following.

I discovered 9 months ago that my GFR was below 60 raising a flag on my lab reports. I have watched it and it has ranged from 55-58 over these last months. When I have raised concern with my doctor  he just says it's not really low but I see it as CKD stage 3A which is moderate kidney disease. I have, not exactly pain, but a soreness in my back on one side that seems to stay sore  Should I see a nephrologist on my own to get ahead of the game. I see my doctor tomorrow and want to press him for some test, ultrasound or scan. Any suggestions? Also, I desperately need anti inflammatories for my knees.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have been diagnosed with PKD this year and my EGFR is currently sitting at between 19/23. This was picked up in my bloods due to creatinine levels. This is
    • Posted

Contact from above- this is something you can check with your gp. Blood pressure is also a key factor is yours normal or raised?

• Posted

Hi last year an optometrist found that my 16 years old daughter had high blood pressure. From there next day blood work was done. Creatinine levels were high. So we were sent to hospital. After a biopsy it was found that her gfr was at 45. 9 months later was at 15 today 13 months from diagnosis it is 11. Ckd can be very unpredictable so in my opinion yes see a nephrologist. Getting a kidney transplant can turn into a very long and frustrating road.
  • Posted

Yes you should see a nephrologist,if only for peace of mind. You should also find out if your blood pressure is normal as if not medication may be needed. Challenge your Gp about why he's not concerned. I have ckd stage 3 but I also have high blood pressure so I take medication which lowers it but also protects the kidney. Ask for an ultrasound to see if that shows up anything, that is how they determined which of my kidneys is damaged.
    • Posted

Thanks. I am on BP medicine and it is controlled. I'll see if I can convince the doc today to do an ultrasound just to know there is not a problem.
  • Posted

Hi,

Age plays a factor in GFR also and you didn't mention your age.  Like it has been mentioned if you have been diagnosed with CKD it doesn't mean that you will progress through the stages I know people who have stayed at stage 3 all of their lives, you need to find the cause of the CKD.  Do you have blood or protien in your urine the GP could test this quite simply? do you have a family history of kidney problems which means you would be likely to be affected? Did you have a cold or virus at the time your GFR was recorded.  I would ask your GP to test you again in 6 months and see what the result is.  A neph would do this to monitor you for a bit to see if there was any great variation.  What is your creatinine level? What is your albumen this is what the neph would look at before doing any type of further investigation.  Rememeber if you are concerned insist on a referral and if it is refused ask for the reasons it has been refused.  Good Luck

• Posted

Mine was ranging from 45-36 for about 10 years but now it has suddenly started dropping to the teens. You should find a eating healthy class and start eating right and control your blood presssure. The doctor kept telling me that but I didn't do it. Also anti inflammatories are not good for your kidneys. They cause alot of damage. Would not take them anymore if I were you. About the pain not sure, I have no pain and I am at 16 right now. No swelling either but feel tired and cold all the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.