Gluten free diet for migraine sufferers?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone any information on having a gluten free diet if you suffer from migraines. I have heard it can reduce them???

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicky

I've been on a gluten,dairy free diet for 9 months now,after suffering with almost weekly migraines for 8 years. My migraines have become so much less and there are months when I don't even get any.

This was a last resort for me after trying everything. It was tough to give up certain foods at first,but I'll rather do that,than have migraines.

A Naturopath helped me adjust my diet and recommended a detox etc.to start with and after that a healthy elimination eating plan.

It's worth a try. Hope this helpssmile

• Posted

Thank you for the help and advice. I think it is definitely something I need to consider now.
    • Posted

hi.  I was told to give up eggs after doing an allergy test because of regular migraines.  Migraines went away because at the same time I checked for every food for egg and so a lot of breads, pastries etc. went aswell.  So, the gluten link?  I became a bit lax with the egg watching and started to eat certain things again, the migraine came back.  So it could be either.  I love eggs but rather not eat them then have migraine.  So now I am back to watching again and the breads etc., are out now again.
  • Posted

This is definitely an interesting one. I've never heard of gf for migraine prevention however my partner is gf so I think I may give it a go and see if things get any better. I did notice that since going from veggie to vegan that my migraines improved a great deal, even though I didn't eat much of it dairy did no good for my migraines. 😊😊
  • Posted

If you have abdominal pain and bloating suggesting you are suffering from some kind of malabsorbtion or inflammatory condition - then yes. Gluten free might help. I wouldn't cut it out completely because you may have issues introducing it back in. I'd cut out white bread and pasta, pastry first.

I'm coeliac. I feel like my head will explode most days. When i first got diagnosed i thought i was cured...it came back. The pain. Migraines. Still can't eat gluten wheat. So seriously. Reduce it. Dont eliminate.

(If you have other signs of coeliac disease. Get tested before you cut it out. If you remove the trigger the ability to diagnose true disease is unreliable. This happened to me)

Seek help from a dietician or nutritionist if you can.

Main migraine triggers are amines and glutamines. Glutamines are not related to gluten. An example of a glutamine is msg. Ever head or the chinese takeaway headache? Glutamines. Evil. There is a world wide fodmap diet that may be better if your serious about dietry changes for migraine. Its something you can track rigorously. Figure out your triggers.

I personally cant eat strawberries, corn, soy...the list goes on. I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.