Glycerine suppositories, thanks but no thanks doctor

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a prolapsed bowel and had a ventral mesh retropescy major surgery for it and found it hoisted my prolapse up but in doing so it created a situation whereby getting poo from A to B in my colon was a non starter, it just wasn't functioning anymore and I was so frequent I was still post surgery opening my bowels 16 to 22 times a day, 10 plus with two codeine daily and nightly, I've had six years of torture, misdiagnosis etc, things failing to show up on proctograms and colonoscopies so have now asked for an MRI scan as to all accounts I have heard they are more reliable and now at the 11th hour the Consultant is considering it, I feel suicidal, I strain so much I risk brain anuerism and appendacitis every time I go, it is painful, nothing is being done.

Then my Consultant gave me a course of glycerine suppositories, I took one the first day, the result was buckets of slime, both brown and transparent, infernal internal itching, gross levels of colonic irritation and all sorts of unpleasant - I wont say SIDE effects as these were ACTUAL effects, and I was up all night long didn't get a wink of sleep where instead of the usual on the loo every 20 mins I was on there every ten.  I had started the course in the genuine belief it would cause my poo to come down in the desired "one fell swoop" that it hasn't for six years, its been tortuous, but never again will I try glycerine suppositories, glycerine and my backside, a mis match!!

The situation now is I have written to both GP and Consultant, requested a MRI scan, as literally every other sort of test has been done multiple times over, and they lie basically they do not show up what is wrong in my genuine experience, hence my having to wait 18 months of this sort of test with the full extent and requirement for surgery not being recognised, yet I was fully prolapsed as was indicated when the surgeon did a "hands on examination" under anathetic, I was up till then met with reluctance to believe the symptoms I was experiencing were true and some extremely snotty attitudes, I can tell you, anyway, aside from requesting an MRI, being considered, i am due to have home colonic irrigation but dubious seeing as the pessaries were a complete disaster, but will try anything suggested as i have co operated with every single test they;ve booked me, and I also have made enquiries about an operation that removes part of the colon but unlike with a full colonoscopy you still poo through your anus, as every time i have mentioned this operation they have bypassed and sidetracked me, and tried, yet again to put my complaints about the most severe and difficult to live with of symptoms, down to behavioural and therefore not needing to be treated, because i am also for my sins a schizophrenic, so I feel this is getting political and has been for some time so I am going to get a bit political myself back and suggest these things to the Consultant and point out the shortcomings that I can see where they appear to need a magnifying glass to recognise or admit to the same syndrome, wish me luck, but if you do get offered glycerine suppositories, be warned, as for me they did not bring things down in that which I would beg and plead for readily, in "one fell swoop", I found quite the reverse, they irritated the living daylights out of my colon and kept me awake all night and in great degree of distress, just warning those of us in my position as i feel its my duty really.  Keep your chin up everyone out there.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Apologies, I was typing faster than thinking there, I was refering to a colostomy and not a colonoscopy, one being an operation, the other of course a test.
  • Posted

You would have been better off getting some proper enema equipment (the nozzle and bag type) and injecting two pints of either plain water (with 1tbspn common salt, to help with the colonic electrolytes) or a mixed water/honey solution.  These are relatively non-irritating and achieve the rapid flush out effect.  You'll still be stuck on the toilet for about an hour - and then have the nuisance of cleaning the equipment - but then that'll be the end of it for now
    • Posted

Yes it's the water one that I am having but I wouldn't dream of putting honey up me as my bowel is very delicate and going on the effect of the glycerine is doubtful it will work in any case, what I really need is an MRI scan to find out precisely what's going on where the other tests failed to show things up and then the operation I described.
  • Posted

Hello Fiona,

I have  sleepless nights, caused by feeling faeces in my rectum that I'm unable to pass, This is ruining my life as I am frequently woken up every 30 minutes with rectal pain.  I also feel pain in my vagina.  Last Friday, in desperation, I tried a glycerine suppositary.  (I had bought them at the chemist.) Minutes later I needed to sit on the toilet but only the suppositary came out, looking much the same as it went in. To my horror the toilet pan was full of blood.  I urinated into a sample bottle and my urine was bright red.  I did not go to the hospital because it is always overcrowded in A & E.   I was very sore for three days, and I will never use glycerine suppositeries again. I have asked my GP if he can arrange for me to  have an MRI scan.  I am unable to have a colonoscopy because my consultant is unable to get the camera through due to diverticular disease. My own feeling is that I have a rectocele, but if this is finally diagnosed, it would appear that surgery is not always successful, so I am not optimistic about my future.  I have forgotten what it is like to go to bed and sleep without beingconstantly woken by pain.  You have my sincerest sympathy with these distressing symptoms.   Good luck with the MRI scan.

• Posted

Hi Gloria, I am so sorry that you have had such a distressing time. I can only thinking say to you that I do know of people thAt for whom a central mesh operation did in fact work, or put things right so don't necessarily let my experience put you off having a mesh or similar. My main criticism of the medical people is having done my mesh op, five years ago, with me reporting ba K to them that I am still just as symptomatic, that they seem to feel it is "hallowed", won't accept it hasn't worked for me and are unprepared to try anything different. However, I know of two people who say the operation worked for them so presumably there are incidents where it was a success, I'm just one of those awkward folk lol, anyway all the best and keep me posted on your progress best wishes Fiona

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.