Gone from heavy periods to no real period, brown blood discharge to begin.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I've been worrying about this for some time now, but I thought it would be wise to get other peoples' opinions on it.  I've told my GP several times, but they aren't overly concerned.

I used to get regular periods, they'd start slow for the first day or so and then pick up on the third and fourth days, usually  finishing on day five-ish.

For about three years now, they have been different.  After a very emotionally distressing and generally stressful time, my periods changed and I began to get a couple of days where I would have a dark brown discharge before the real period started.  This gradually got longer and longer and eventually could last up to a week before my period started,  I also noted that I would get a sharp pain in the lower side of my abdomen, about a week before my pre-period started, usually when I'd stretch this would occur.  It then became muliples of these pains.  I had very heavy periods for a while and I am close to being anaemic.  I have a few other health issues too.  I am subclinically hypothyroidic and my periods can be incredibly painful and I have low haemoglobin.

Anyway, my last period didn't really come.  I had the usual pre-period discharge and then the incredibly painful cramping, some light red blood, but not anywhere near as much as usual and then nothing...  I'm not pregnant.

I asked my GP about going on the pill because of the excessive pain and the (usually) heavy periods.  I started taking it on the first day of the brown blood, but now I haven't had my period follow.  Very confused, I'm hoping that the pill will help regulate things, etc.  But I don't want to ignore any underlying issues.  Is there any reason to worry?

Sorry for the long post!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention - I'm 29.
  • Posted

Hi Hannah

I would monitor it while on BC and see how you go it does take a while for your body to adjust while taking it.

I would go back to your GP if you are still concerned.

I am also 29 and my period has shortened in length by 2 days was 6 now 4 smile not complaining on that front! only down side is i get horrendous cramps and lightheadedness too. I currently take Mefenamic acid which is great if you can find a pharmacy that stock it :0

Hope this helps,

• Posted

Hello Hannah,

That's exactly like me and my gynecologist has always told me that stress levels have a big effect on the menstrual cycle and when I am extremely stressed I've actually skipped two periods and the third month I had few days of brown discharge and only one day of spotting yet the excruciatingly debilitating cramps are always there with the same intensity one way a gynecologist explains it is the blood lining the uterus is there yet it is backed up and or delayed by our stress levels and the brown discharge is as good as a period it only proves that it's been there a while longer that's all try taking some anti-inflammatory meds to help with the pain and absolutely see a gynecologist that understands your concern and is willing to help you find a treatment that will work for you

No pills have worked for me but it turns out I have endometriosis which I had removed ten days ago via a Diagnostic Laperoscopy and then will see what my treatment options are with a competent gynecologist FINALLY!!

Hope this was helpful, relax and don't worry you'll be fine :-) let me know how you're doing and feel free to msg me anytime

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.