Good Orthotics

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone know of a good inexpensive shoe orthotic for the Achilles post op??????

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Raven.

I don't have knowledge of orthotics. When i finally got out of the boot about week 7, i moved to shoes. Problem was, with swelling my shoes did not fit well. I bought a pair of running shoes that are wider than I normally wear. They are ASICS Nimbus.  I also got some ECCO shoes for work. They have some nice dress models that ar pretty comfortable despite the mess my Achilles is.  I found tie shoes to work better for this than slip-ons. When I bought them i did not have the flexibility in my foot and ankle to get into my normal shoes. 

So, bottom line:  no orthotics, just some shoes a size larger to accommodate my swollen ankle and foot. 

• Posted

Ok..thanks for responding. When walking did you or do you feel a knot in the heel of your foot?
    • Posted

Yes!  I would get some pain in the heel like I was walking with a marble in my shoe. I didn't realize that the surgical procedure involved putting anchors into the heel bone to anchor the sutures. One on each side of the back of the heel. The outside one bothered me for a while, but it has calmed down quite a bit. When I spend a lot of time walking or standing it still acts

up towards the end of the day. Ice and resting it seems to help. 

I found that walking helped to improve range of motion, and working all the little bones, tendons, joints, and muscles that had been immobilized for 7 weeks accelerated the improvements. Still, I feel I have a long way to go to regain my full capacity. 

• Posted

Hi Raven,

I removed my stitches on Saturday and I'm using the moon boot and crutches to walk. I can't really step with the operation foot and is so swollen. My heel and ankel are painful all day. I'm 14 days post op what can i do to ease the pain and discomfort?

Only starting with physiotherapy on Thursday.

• Posted

Hello zaza

Many of us have been there.  What worked (reasonably) for me is: ice, elevation, and good compression socks. Also, I was not weight bearing for the first 5 weeks. Now 11 weeks post op, weight bearing, out of the boot, but still using ice throughout the day, elevating when I can, and compression socks 24/7. I found physical therapy to help as well.  Almost everyone I have seen in this bogosphere reports very slow recovery with occasional setbacks.  Be patient, but call the doc if something concerns you.

Hope you feel better soon and achieve a swift and complete recovery.

• Posted

Hi Zaza what Rob said..lol praying for 100% revovery
    • Posted

Still no weight bearing and I'm on week 3 post op. The swelling went down completely my skin is pealing and itchy all the time. I got a few exercises to do from the physiotherapist.

I'm so tired of using crutches and the moon boot. I can't wait to just use the moon boot alone. Then finally none of them.

I need motivation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.