Got my first colonoscopy next week and is so scared anyone had this without sedation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Got my first colonoscopy next week who’s had this done and there experience I’m having without sedation as need to drive after like to know peoples views on this 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

• Posted

If you mean one going in from the bottom end, I had one without sedation. It wasn’t too bad really, the upper one was worse without sedation due to the ‘gag reflex’ having to swallow the camera. I watched them do it on the monitor, and the worst bit is when they go round a bend in the colon, but it was more discomfort than pain. If you ever have an upper one (I’ve had several done, and felt it went much better with sedation than the one without) I’d suggest you have sedation particularly if you have a strong gag reflex. Hope it all goes well for you.
    • Posted

Fiona

Yes,  

Lisa is referring to a colonoscopy... test of our colon.  The one where they put the scope down our throats into the stomach is called an endoscopy. 

Personally, I do better with sedation. 

• Posted

Yes, me too! I’ve only had the one without sedation, the others I had with and they were far better.
  • Posted

I had a sigmoidoscopy about 15 years ago, which only goes about 1.5 feet in, far less than the 5 feet or so a colonscopy goes.  I had it without any sedation, as it wasn't offered, so I just assumed that it wasn't bad, and that since doctors do them all the time, that I assumed they know what they are doing.  BBBAAAAAAD  assumption.  It was beyond painful.  I will never go back for anything like that.  I have no family history of cancer, and none of the risk factors associated with colon cancer, so I assume the risk.  Yes, I am in the US where the colonoscopy is run like many other associated corporate money makers.  I have no trust in the doctors here, which is rather odd because I worked in health care for decades of my life, but corporate ameriKKKa has taken over health care here big time.  Doctors are merely employees of large corporate entities now.  Yes, great health care is available, to those that have cold plated insurance policies ...... otherwise, it is buyer beware.

• Posted

Joe

Lisa is asking IF a colonoscopy is tolerable without sedation.  I too had a bad experience with a sigmoidoscopy when I lived in Fla and had similar insurance to what I have today in Ca.

I think rather than ‘your take’ on the health care system you could give her your personal experience  on how your colonoscopy experience went for you.  

Yes I have insurance, it’s not ‘gold plated’ but 9/10 times, I’ve had great doctors.  Some actually go into it to help others.  I know the health system/insurance is not what it once was. 

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I had my colonoscopy with sedation - it was recommended due to my age (27). I'm returning for a sigmoidoscopy around March and they've recommended no sedation which I'm happy to trust them with given my previous experience. I would take the advice of your doctor (or if you call the number on your booking letter they should be able to discuss options with you). If they've recommended it then I wouldn't advise skipping it!

• Posted

If this is your first one, I think it is impossible to know whether or not it will be tolerable, because it will depend on how you are made inside, and what conditions they find.  Many people find the experience uncomfortable but tolerable, and say the prep is the worst part.   

At my 1st colonoscopy it was discovered I had a longer than normal colon which was narrowed and had extra twists in it.  (The written report I was given described it as thickened and tortuous).  Additionally I had diverticula right on some bends.  There was no way anyone could have known in advance as the procedure in the UK is colonoscopy 1st, CT scan 2nd.  Even though I was sedated I do vaguely remember crying out in pain and they had to abort the procedure as there was too great a risk of perforation to proceed.  A 2nd attempt was an even greater failure and the consultant had the sense to stop almost before he started.  Also this time the sedation had no effect whatsoever.  I was finally given a CT scan.

If at all possible I do strongly advise you to find someone who can act as your driver, so you can have sedation if necessary.  I look forward to the day when this procedure is replaced by swallowing a small camera and the results processed after it comes out the other end.

• Posted

You will be fine without sedation- I had my First las November and hate being ‘out of control ‘ .so opted for no sedation.  I was very nervous too. 

There was only 3 times when it was a bit painful, but I just shallow breathed through it. The Dr was lovely and took great care and talked all the time. I watched it all on the screen and it was quicker than I thought. There is gas and air on hand if need be. I had two biopsies taken but didn’t feel that . 

The worst is the prep- vile stuff and so much to drink in one go. 

I really hope yours go well too. 

Let us know. 😊

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I hope it goes well too as sick of the pelvic pains and feeling nausea have u been diagnosed with ibs what was your results is the prep make u have tummy cramps 
    • Posted

I had proctitis , near the entrance, so blood smears and mucus were my symptoms and looser movements some times. 

It's mainly the taste of the Movicol, vile and after so much was retching. It did make me shiver too and generally ill.  The bowel movements were ok, had time to get to the toilet, became very watery, but no cramps. I actually could not drink the last 250 ml but it had worked ok. Good luck.  

• Posted

Thanks for your reply makes me feel little better about it without seadation what was your symtoms why u went for it was the results all good 
    • Posted

I have a history of proctitis. I've managed to control it fir years. But in November I developed a bug.. gastroenteritis which flared everything up. I was bleeding heavily and feeling nauseous but put it down to the bug. It got worse and the pain was excruciating. I went to the docs who put me on loads of meds. I'm on mesalazine tablets, asacol suppositories and prednisone steroids

The colonoscopy results were positive, no inflammation but evidence of colitis. I'm now waiting fir a CT scan to rule out everything else. 

When's yours? 

Good luck lisa x

• Posted

Mines on Friday so nervous as having no seadation got no one pick kids up from school I haven’t eaten good in ages as so worri d what’s wrong with me x
    • Posted

Try not to worry lisa, although it's easier said than done! I was v nervous beforehand but the staff were great. Reassuring me every step of the way. I was anxious about what was wrong with me too. Similar problems, hardly eating and lots of pain, I have a bit of pain today but getting bk in bed and resting up. Let me know how u get on. 

When ur in, find a focal point and stay with it. That helped me. Good luck for Friday x

• Posted

I've got  mine tomorrow. I'm not sure if to just go for gas and air

• Posted

Mine went really well. I've just got back. I didn't have the sedation, the gas and air was enough. I just focused on my breathing. 

• Posted

What can I drink the day before to keep my energy levels up they say clear didn’t know if lucozade was ok and what they mean by broth, was it painful and did the prep make u feel sick 
    • Posted

I think of broth as clear soup like consomme.  You can get it in cans from Waitrose, who do their own brand, or in any supermarket stocking Campbells soup.  I've never heard of anyone taking Lucozade and so wouldn't risk it.  I drank herbal lea, and clear apple juice is also allowed.  That would give you your sugar fix.  You mustn't drink anything red, so no cranberry juice for example.  The prep varies - some require you to drink massive amounts of the stuff, and all require you to take lots of water as well to replace the fluids you will lose.  However the prep also contains the essentials your body needs which have been lost by the runs.  I've taken 3 different preps.  None of them made me feel sick, but the sheer volume, together with the acid content and my hiatus hernia, meant I had great difficulty keeping it down.  But others have different experiences.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply and information it’s very insuring where u get discomfort for a hernia as I get discomfort laterlybjust below my sternum and about belly button in middle 
    • Posted

Yes I found the acid reflux I got from taking Moviprep the worst thing.  I get the pain just below the sternum on the left.  I also have pain slightly lower, but when I had an endoscope, was told I also had gastritis.  I told them I couldn't take acidic stuff (Moviprep is lemon) and asked for Picolax which I'd had without problems before.  But they ignored me and insisted I HAD to take this particular one due to hospital protocol.  Nest time I'll stick to my guns!!

• Posted

Had mine done bloody painfully never agian without sedation all ok though so that’s one thing of my mind x
    • Posted

They found nothing didn’t do no biopsy or removed nothing said could be ibs just change my diet is it normal to get pain after as I can still feel the pain where she went round then bend in my tummy and I don’t ask her do they look at the small intestine 
    • Posted

Glad nothing was found.  It is normal to have pain, wind and abnormal bowel movements for a few days afterwards.  Your insides have undergone a certain amount of trauma.  It will ease.  Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, I had mine done on Tuesday and I still have abit of wind/pain. 
    • Posted

Sorry it was painful for you, I think it must be the skill of the Dr and how much care they take. 

Glad that nothing sinister was found . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.