gout.

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have had a very painfull finger joint recently, red and swollen, with occasionly a discharge of a clear liquid, saw the consultant yesterday, and was told it was 'gout'. never in my life would that have occured to me. m. edwards

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

yes Mag., unfortunately this gout and you have to change your life style as having healthy diet with exclusion of red meat and legumes and do physical aerobic exercise and have plenty of fluids and then you will recieve medicine to relieve pain and then to decrease serum level of uric acid and to maintain good level of it
  • Posted

Of course, if you are not able to do aerobic exercise, walking as much as is possible (which is all many of us on here can do) is the best option. Most of us on here have a healthy diet, but additional fluid intake is usually a good option for gout.

Hope you get some pain relief soon, Margaret.

• Posted

Im a newby ...just started allopruniol..i seem to get pain and stiffness behind the knee ...elbow knees ... it goes and comes ...also hands but not feet .....had a lot of pain ....nights are the worst ...i get so stiff aam up and down to keep joints moving ....what is sudogout ...and how do you tell it apatt and do you need any fiferant meds ? Thanks elliecopter
    • Posted

Gout and psuedogout have similar symptoms and are both due to the presence of crystals in the joint - gout is due to uric acid but psuedogout is another substance and doesn't respond to allopurinol as far as I know. You tell the difference by identifying the type of crystals causing the problem but gout usually has a high uric acid level in the blood, whilst psuedogout doesn't.

If the doctor sure it is gout? If you have PMR you can develop synovitis due to the PMR and the symptoms are similar. Either way - it hurts!

• Posted

Same happened to me definitly gout in wrists and hands ...niw on allopurinol for life ......have since been diagnosed with polymialgia ..on 8 prednisolone for the next week then reducibg ...probably on steroids for 1 to 2 years ive been told ... yuck ellie
  • Posted

I had the same surprise diagnosis of gout 6yrs ago, I was stunned! It is down to diet & not alcohol as most people believe, although excessive consumption is certainly a factor. I am on Alopurinol & have to watch what I eat. I should have been diagnosed years ago, so I now have "hot spots" where the uric acid has crystalised in the joints, mainly feet, base of thumbs & rib cartledge. Very, very painful, as i'm sure you're aware. I hope you have success getting it under control. You have been given some good advice here. good luck margaret.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.