Gout and coffee

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi folks

I am both a gout sufferer and a medical research scientist - which means I have access to peer review journals.

I have noticed a recent paper in the journal "Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism" entitled "Effects of coffee consumption on serum uric acid: systematic review and meta-analysis " by Park et al (2016).

Their key finding is:

Results: Nine studies published between 1999 and 2014 were included, containing a total of 175,310 subjects. Meta-analysis demonstrated that coffee has a significantly lowering effect on serum UA, where there are gender differences in the amount of coffee required to lower serum UA. Women (4–6 cups/day) need more coffee to lower serum UA than men (1–3 cups/day). Meta-analysis showed that coffee intake of 1 cup/day or more was significantly associated with reduction of the risk of gout, with a negative correlation with the amount of daily coffee intake for both genders.

Conclusions: This is the first systematic review on the effects of coffee consumption on serum UA. Based on our study, moderate coffee intake might be advocated for primary prevention of hyperuricemia and gout in both genders. 

So.....get drinking !

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your group has put gout and pseudo gout in the same group, however, pseu gout has nothing to do with uric acid??  I am looking for someone that can give me more info on how to handle pseudo?  It seems everyone begans talking about pseudo gout then ends up giving ways to treat gout??? 

• Posted

I'm afraid that I can find very little published about pseudo gout. The only recent paper in Joint Bone Spine, Volume 81, Issue 1, January 2014 by Daoussis et al relates to the application of ACTH for it's treatment in a hospital environment. Their main conclusion is:

Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) may be an alternative therapeutic option for patients with acute calcium pyrophosphatedihydrate (CPP) crystal arthritis (formerly known as pseudo-gout).It was previously thought that ACTH acts by stimulating the release of endogenous steroids. However, experimental data indi-cate that ACTH is not just a “steroid-releasing” hormone but has an intrinsic anti-inflammatory effect related to its ability to bind and stimulate melanocortin receptors. We have been using ACTH as a first line treatment for gout in hospitalized patients since 1995 and have recently reported that it is highly effective and safe.

Could be worth mentioning to a Doctor who treats you?

• Posted

Wow, my doctor told me to stop drinking coffee! It's a hormone disruptor in my case. When I was drinking coffee, no signs of gout. Any other study with conclusively positive results other than coffee?

• Posted

Thanks for this contribution! Greatwhen people who have a bit more connection and understanding of the technical documentation share insights and knowlege!
    • Posted

Thanks.

I have found an interesting paper confirming the efficacy of Cherry juice - and the recommended dosage:

Journal of Functional Foods Volume 11, November 2014, Pages 82–90. Montmorency tart cherry (Prunus cerasus L.) concentrate lowers uric acid, independent of plasma cyanidin-3-O-glucosiderutinoside. By Bell et al.

Exerpt 1:

Montmorency cherry concentrate reduces uric acid and inflammation.

Changes in uric acid metabolism and inflammation are independent of the dose given.

Exerpt 2:

Reports from clinical populations have indicated a reduced incidence of gout attacks following regular consumption of tart cherry juice concentrate across a 4 month period (Schlesinger et al., 2012) and in epidemiological work, patients' self-reported cherry consumption was associated with a 35% reduction in gout attacks (Zhang et al., 2012)

Exerpt 3:

In conclusion, the data from the current study provide evidence that tart Montmorency cherries reduce levels of hsCRP and serum urate and increase urinary urate excretion. Importantly, a 30 mL dose of Montmorency cherry concentrate confers the same effects as a 60 mL dose; therefore from a practical and economic standpoint, it is not necessary to increase the dose in order to elicit a greater response. Overall, these are the first data to show Montmorency cherry concentrate as an efficacious, adjuvant supplement in managing inflammatory conditions, such as those seen with gout, and these observations are independent of CYA-3-O-GluRut absorption in humans.

I have left out their methodology and statsitical analysis, but is is statistically significant (P < 0.05). It suggests that a 30ml daily dose is fine - but taking more has no effect. The increase in urate excretion is also interesting as it may help people with impaired kidney function to lower urate serum levels which is in addition to any dietary change to reduce purine intake. So cherry concentrate can not only be good for prevention - but also reduce the concentration of the uric acid during an attack - aiding the dissolving of crystals already in tissue.

• Posted

Interesting findings. I'm taking medicine for high blood pressure that has the tendency to raise my potassium levels. I have to watch my potassium intake as potassium overload can have serious consequences, one of which being a heart attack.

Cherries, cherry concentrate, and cherry juice have a lot of potassium and I would need to be careful when implementing this type of treatment. It's an unfortunate reality for me be one I have to deal with, nonetheless.

• Posted

You find online : The gout Remedy Report,

Download the book and fallow the instructions,

I did myself and it's working,

You have to cut all meats,

I eat only : Tuna, Salmon and sometimes chicken,

Most of vegetables

Hopefully will work for you,

Nico

• Posted

Thank you Mark, cherry juice is my emergency back up and it does seem to work as they state.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.