GP threatening to cease prescribing in absence of blood tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I have had a bad needle phobia since as along as I can remember.

In recent times, I developed high blood pressure, diabetes and atrial fibrillation. I obtained some blood pressure medication (abroad where I didn't need a prescription) and reduced this from 260/180 to around 150/100 and believe I started to reverse the diabetesthrough diet. But my overall health declined and of course I avoided doctors/hospitals until I ended up having a stroke. In a delirious state I agreed to a blood test and passed out.

Anyway the hospital put me on blood pressure medication, thinners, diabetes meds and a statin. These were continued by the GP who has been pushing me to have a blood test in order to monitor the effect of these drugs. I've told him of my phobia but I am feeling increasingly stressed and harassed, receiving a call and a text during the last week.

He is saying that it will get to the point where he will have to stop prescribing because it is dangerous. He doesn't seem to accept my argument that it should be a balanced decision between the dangers of prescribing without monitoring and not prescribing without monitoring. It's as if he thinks I'm being obstructive and that his "threat" will force me.

I am seeing some therapists privately to deal with the phobia and progress, if any, is slow.

Please, I'm not after advice on the phobia. But how should I handle the doctor. There is no doubt the way things stand I will not be having a blood test. I feel by stopping the medication he is not acting in my best interests.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

I can see that this may feel like a "threat" from the doctor but try to see it his way. If he has no idea of your blood results he could be over or under prescribing. He may also be missing something else that is going on with your health that may need a different approach. If he continues prescribing "in the dark" and you are subsequently found to have needed a higher or lower dose, or you develop a further condition which could have been prevented if he had blood results, then he is certainly not acting in your best interests by continuing to prescribe and possibly he could face an enquiry or even be struck off .

Let your doctor know you are trying to overcome the phobia.

• Posted

Thank you. I did tell him I was getting private treatment (hypnosis/CBT) and he was a little disparaging ("well, how long will that take?").

I feel there is risk in continuing the drugs just as there is in ceasing them. I would like to make an informed choice, but I think his view is there is risk to him (as you note) in prescribing but little risk to him if he doesn't. OR maybe the "threat" will force me to comply.

I think I will write to him setting how my concerns. If he is going to stop supply, I think he should let me know in good time so I can make alternative arrangements. In the meantime, a friend overseas will purchase a small stock over the counter so I have a buffer stock. Expensive, though.

• Posted

I have no memory of an event, I remember having the phobia when vaccinated at around 4 years old. After that I avoided any further needles despite working in Asia where vaccinations were recommended. I skipped school when the BCG test/TB jab came around. My father said I had an accident when I was 18 months old and had to have stitches. He thinks that might have been how it started. The phobia is so bad that I'm beginning to feel sick just writing this!

• Edited

I sympathise with you re the phobia. I've an absolute mental block regarding pipes and tubes and fingers being stuck in places. I need a colonoscopy, but I can't bring myself to getting one. Its silly, I wrote a list of Pros and cons, and there wasn't really any cons to getting one, but this blocker in my head stops me picking up the phone to ring the Dr.

Needles don't bother me personally. As a crafter, I've given myself so many cuts on tools, glass, massive splinters from wood etc so a hair width intrusion isn't going to get noticed.

I hope therapy helps. I'm receiving it now for my phobia .

But I agree with everyone else, Dr's do need to know what is wrong. They can be pushy , I will agree, but just remember they've your best interest at heart. .

They were ringing me 3 times a day when I got the results back for my stool sample, telling me I need a blood test for the colonoscopy. Meanwhile I was sitting in the corner anxiety levels hitting the roof everytime the phone rang.

• Posted

There's no logic to these things. If I cut myself, I'm fine. No problem with the sight of blood, or knives for that matter. Good luck to you with your phobia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.