Gradual onset of fatigue after taking Neurontin hfor 8 years. What can I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking Neurontin for 8+ years for mood disorder. My life changed for the better. I felt like my mood disorder was finally being managed. I take a large dose though. 600mg 3x a day. I have gradually been feeling unusually sluggish. This has been happening for about a year. I was told to get more sleep, exercise more, eat better, etc. All of which I've done, but to no avail. Lowering the dose doesn't seem to help either. I'm figuring the fatigue could be caused by the neurontin. Any thoughts or advice?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was taking that same doseage but for cervical radiculopathy and peripheral nueropathy. I got off of it because it made me have uncontrollable and involuntary bodily movement, and I don't just mean the shakes. I do not recall feeling fatigue though. Best to check with your neurologist. Good luck
  • Posted

People corresponding MUST Google the side effects of this drug. They are horrendous. Including chronic fatigue, rapid weight gain, jerky unpredictable movements and research into sudden death especially if stopped too quickly. The dangers of high doses  need careful management and monitoring and review. My daughter was on 4800 milligrams daily. She died suddenly in her sleep with no obvious cause yet identified. It is also dangerous to drink alcohol. Wake up please everyone
  • Posted

It could be the Neurontin. Though the side effects are generally worse when you first start taking. After 8 years you would think that fatigue would have been experienced before now. You didn't state your age, but don't under-estimate the affects aging can have on the tolerability of side effects and energy in general. Have you experienced fatigue prior to taking Neurontin (with your mood disorder)? The onset of Chronic Fatigue could also be a factor, whether it is related to Neurontin or not. How was your nervous system before you started taking Neurontin?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.