Granuloma Annulare - sharing what worked for me

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I've been diagnosed with GA recently. It's a terrible things - not much can be done but it's so ugly (have it on both shins, ankles, my wrist, arms, around my hip, stomach. it was spreading to my chest and neck when I finally found what worked and arrest it. Mine is really itchy and I get wounds from scratching it. I researched high and low  as the doctor can only provide me steriods and if it does not work, really strong antibiotics. Tried many things I've read in forums. Some helped, others not. I've found a few things as well that helps it to heal eventually - very quickly as well. The sharing has been such a great help - I am goign to share mine - perhaps it works for others as well.

Apple Cider Vinegar and Manuka honey - for itchyness and redness/inflammation

- applying apple cider vinegar (only briggs with the mother in it). The anti intiching effect is near immediate for me. Where there are raw scratching wound, it hurt like &^%^* so if you can't stand it avoid it. My itchyness was so bad - I'm happy to live with the stinging for couple of seconds.

- after the vinegar is dried, I applied MediHoney (the 100% pure manuka money range). That helps the scratching wound to heal, I found the itchness didn't come back so quickly when I apply the Medihoney.

- I did this 3 times a day at the beginning.

- Because the brush of clothing also makes it itchy, I keep my arms and shins bandages the whole time - for weeks. Also makes it easier as it looks okay when I am out with bandages rather than ugly red skin. Was very difficult to keep the bandage up - until I found a great solution! I bought PawFlex basic bandage - it is intended for pets - I bought the XL. It was great. Took seconds to put on, second to take off AND I don't have an issue with it slipping down. I used to spend nearly an hour from applying the vinegar to completely bandaging my arms and shin. For the spots around my torse, I use a surgial tape to tape over the spots - it was necessary - the honey was sticky!

- what it does do it to stop it from getting worst - if I catch new spots when it is just a spot and itchy, I find that they heal within a week without getting bigger.

- but it does not make existing spots smaller or heals it

Soak in Dead Sea Salt

- in lukewarm water for 40 min

- an hour after that, I can literally see the spots turn dark red/brown from the before angry bright red

- the day after, the spots where they are bumpy - they calms

- it still does not help the current bad spots to heal

Diet - trigger

- I went to accupunture and was recommended a stricht diet until it heals

- no mushroom, no egg, no dairy, no red meat, no chicken, no fish or shellfish, not red fruits, no nuts.

- i stopped with gluten as well along with coffee.

- suggest if you follow this diet, eat lots of tofu, go for indian food where you get easily get decent variety of food and also a balanced meal.

- did it work? I know that if I have gluten and coffee, it gets itcher that day.  I accidently took dairy (creme fraise in avacado spread), my near healed granuloma ring grew three times it size the next day, very very red and itchy. My GA is so bad and I was so scared it grew to my face, I don't dare to eat take these again until they were completely gone. 

Class IV laser therapy - this eventually healed it

- I've read it helps with accelerating wound healing. Since GA is a degenerative collegen issue and the laser therapy has an effect in helping building of collagen I decided to give it a try.

- My GA are more or less gone within 3 weeks after I start laser (along with the diet, apple cider, mnauka honey, dead sea salt)

- I had a class III laser therapy - did not work

- then I went to a centre with a Class IV. I see immediate improvement the next day - smaller bumps are near invisible, the red bumps are flats, lighter red. Within 3 weeks, they have all gone down, just light pink or dark pigmentation. After 1.5 months, they are all gone. Been 6 month now - doesn't show sign of coming back - only the worst flare up area still itches if i consume gluten.

- I went 5 times a week for the first week because I found that with every two days treatment, the itchness comes back after 24 hours. 

- I only found out about laser therapy after struggling with it for 2 months. My GA went from a tiny 1 inch spot to my arms, shins, torso in space of 2 months.

I also drank 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar a day. Not sure if it helps and how it helps. Figured that it is not bad.

Hope this helps someone.

Through this, I've not taken a single medication oral or topical.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for all of the info!!! Glad too hear you found remedies that have been helping you. I will try also.

All my best

• Posted

Hi I also have GA all over and it itches at times. Is the laser treatment expensive?? And does insurance cover it?
    • Posted

Not sure. I was working for a physician atthe time who did the procedure for me at no cost. Have your doctors office do a preauthorization to see what will be covered.
    • Posted

It is affordable. $30 onwards depending how long it is - which depends on how wide the area they have to treat. I have it all over my torso, shins, arms... it was a good 1/2 hour treatment hence cost more. For the first week, I went daily because when they did it once every two days, the itchiness came back.

When enquirying just make note that laser treatment and laser therapy is completely different. Laser treatment are based on heat (eg cosmetics,  etc). Laser therapy is therapeutic laser. I only felt a soothing warm and no pain at all. And within laser therapy there's class III and class IV. Also I've read other different laser therapy  used to treat GA as well in medical journals called pulse dyed laser, excimer laser and UV laser. 

Some insurance do cover it. I think they might call may call it cold laser therapy / low level laser therapy as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.