Granulomas and Scarring

Posted , 6 users are following.

What causes calcified granulomas and scars on the lungs?  Could they caused by asbestos?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Could be caused b that or smoking there is lots of things could cause it 
  • Posted

I think several things can cause it. I did read that it can be caused by tattoos and dermal fillers even. I am not sure how true this is. 
  • Posted

I believe that calcified granulomas in the lung could be due to tuberculosis contracted years earlier that is now inactive and dormant.  Alternatively, granulomas in the lung could indicate sarcoidosis.  

I have had both CT and PET scans to investigate 5 nodules in my right lung, and am due another CT in July to see if they have grown.   So far they are "unexplained", and inaccessible to a bronchoscope.  

I hope we both get answers to this soon, wishing you better health.

• Posted

I don't know about Granuloma's, but the scarring certainly could be from Asbestosis.

I have Asbestosis and have scarring on the lungs, but there are others causes

Good Luck

• Posted

Not being funny but why don't you search the Internet as I have no knowledge?

Kind regards

Jazztrain

• Posted

My chest x-rays also show calcified granulomas - the report said mine were from an old infection.  The only thing that could have caused my granulomas was when I had a respiratory infection about 20-25 years ago called Histoplasmosis.  I remember my doctor at that time telling me I was either going to get well or I would die.  I did live, but scars from that disease remained in my lungs over the years.  I now have COPD (thanks to almost 20 yrs. of smoking almost a pack a day - wish I'd known then what it was leading up to). I don't have any experience with asbestos but know that it does cause lung problems if inhaled; we lived in an older home when I was a kid and I remember our duct work was wrapped in asbestos but will never know if that had any effect on me - too many years ago plus no one knew much about those things then.  Wish I could give you more information, best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.