Granuluma annulare

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have GA for one year now I am 58 year old women it is all over my body., I have  been using topical cream not really doing much. my Dr told me I need to go on a very low carb diet. has this worked for anyone

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi ann - sorry to see that you are joining our club.  I'm 48 and I have this for 8 years and it's a real pain.  I'm not sure what your doctor is going for with low carbs but it's better advice than I got which was too bad, tough it out.  Be careful of the creams, they will thin your skin and make it very painful for a long time even if the rash goes away.  It seems there are many causes for GGA but for me it turns out that I'm extremely sensitive to foods (gluten - coffee - potatoes - all nightshade veggies - spices) my list goes on and on but there are a lot of people who find that just one food is a problem.  I'm also very allergic to latex.  I've been gluten free for just about 1 year now and have removed a lot of other items from my diet and I've seen a HUGE reduction.  All but 2 of my "spots" are inactive and the two that are left visible look more like a deep bruise.  I used to have huge red, depressed rings with bubbles all around the edge that ITCH and BURN like you can't image.  But even a tiny mistake and I can feel the GGA under my skin.   I'm newly researching that the GGA may be linked to another Auto-Immune having to do with MAST cells.   I've had some testing done and am waiting for results.  You might start to keep a food log and makes notes anytime the rash gets worse.  Remember you can be having a minor reaction 3 days later.  Even consider some food/allergy testing you might find something that will help.   Good Luck 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for sharing with me what you have been going through. I am covered all over with this rash. Sometimes it itches really bad and now I know why my skin is burning. I didn't even think about the cream causing it. I am going to start low carb diet on monday. I will take your advise and keep a food log. My doctor said if in one month no change she is going to put me on methotrexate. I have taken this before for RA. I really do not want to go back on that so hoping the diet works. Was it really hard to go gluten free ? What is mast cell testing?
  • Posted

I personally found the steroidal topical creams useless... very expensive and still had many outbreaks through 3 months of application.

I have said this before many times in this forum, but will continue to reiterate: try Traditional Chinese Medicine -- specifically acupuncture and herbal pills. Your TCM doctor may recommend a gluten-free diet (mine did).

I have had very good results with this course of treatment: although this has taken a long time (2+ years), I just have a few remaining spots on the tops of my feet and the back of one hand.

I shower you with support and hopes for healing. This is such an obnoxious condition. Please also, make sure you get a skin biopsy. My rashes were never itchy.

• Posted

Unfortunately, Yes. It's hard to go Gluten free because there are so many foods that have secret gluten in them, hidden I mean.  The obvious ones are pasta, crackers bread.  THe hard one are sauces, dressings, soups.  There are a lot of alternatives out there and they taste good but it takes a while to get used to thinking differrently. It's something you can do.  One bright side, I've lost almost 30 pounds and feel better than I have in 15 years!  The Mast cell thing is really complicated. I'm not sure that it applies just to the GGA, my family has an Auto-Imumune issue. We all suffer with some problem or other that the doctors can't define.  If I get it figured out I'll be sure to post more details.   Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.