Great iron Stores, but low red cell blood count

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I am a 62 years old male, the real traditional kind. 😃

I have a life long history of anaemia. During my early childhood years, as there was not much knowledge of anaemia, it was always thought that anaemia was the direct result of low iron intake. As a result of this, my mother used to feed me raw liver, yummy, as it was known to be the highest source of iron.

Through my years I underwent many exploratory theories by various doctors, none of which was a solution.

In the end, it just became something I had to deal with and manage. Fatigue was my closest friend.

It wasn't until my mid years that I finally saw a couple of Haematologists. In both cases, after taking a lot of blood for testing, they narrowed it down to my bone marrow as my iron stores were very high. They then said that normally they would be looking at some sort of cancer. But given my age and that nothing had presented, that was discounted.

So, it was put down to lazy bone marrow and red cell production, and no solution offered.

My recent blood tests showed my red cell count continues to drop, now down to 118, they usually suggest blood transfusions at 90.

So, I wanted to ask, can anyone suggest a specific dietary or vitamin intake that would promote red cell production, keeping in mind that my iron stores are within normal range?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Good evening.

I noticed your post.

Im a year younger than you.

I just now had a low RBC

I quit eating red meat, eggs, dairy, chicken, nuts, etc

My RBC dropped over a period of 6 months.

I'm starting to eat normal again and see if it helps.

Any thoughts?

• Posted

Hello,

How are you doing ? I want to ask you ,what is activ B12 vitamin level in your blood? Do you have problem with stomach or gallblader ?

I hope you feel better !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.