Groin pain 8 weeks post THR

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all.

I'm looking for some advice (reassurance i guess). i had a posterior right THR 8 weeks ago, but have had groin pain a lot of the time. Today i went for a long walk - longest walk I've done so far (roughly 6000 steps) and now my groin is super painful. I got up from a seat earlier and i felt a real twinge in my groin. Now I'm worried ive done some damage or is it just muscle pain from over doing it? Has anyone else suffered a lot from groin pain?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

sounds like maybe you over did the exercise a bit at 8 weeks. short walks are better.

had 3 THR each one was a different healing . 8 weeks is really a bit soon for long walks.

take your time you cannot rush healing. remember that the bone is healing and growing on the prothesis to stabilize it along with soft tissue & ligaments that take 6 months to stabilize, & up to 1 year for full healing til movements will return to a better experience. mobility will return and a better quality of life. sending healing blessings your way.

• Posted

Thank you for replying and your advice. I will only do short walks for now. I also haven't been doing many stairs at all as i live in a bungalow. When I do go up stairs i still have to take each step at a time. Can I also ask what physio exercises you were doing around 8 weeks?

• Posted

after my first THR i found that exercises doesn't help strengthen or healing. it takes time for surrounding tissue ligaments muscle to heal. you have been thru a traumatic surgery. it's sad more surgeons don't offer pamphlets to patients detailing the phases of healing after surgery.

2 surgeries and one was a revision... after the first surgery i found that all that was needed to recover and build stamina and strength was walking ...just walking...we use our entire body when walking, equals a good recovery in time while healing takes place.

again i cannot stress it enough walking while concentrating on a good heel to toe gate is all that is needed to heal and regain physical agility with legs feet ankles knees and hips and back. take it slow and listen to your body along the way to not over exercise, which can cause set backs and pain.

3 to 6 months is short term healing. 6-12 months long term, which is the average time for recovery from THR surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.