Groove/crack on toenail

Posted , 1 user is following.

Apologies for the gross image but I'm really needing some help.

Overview: (Healthy young adult male, no major prior illnesses of any kind, did experience ingrown in past)

About two years ago (yes that long, but I've lost count in all honesty) I noticed this crack/groove on my nail. It does not reach to the skin beneath, but it is very thin, I worry about it cracking and forming a sharp point. Like mentioned, this is the same toe I have had an ingrown nail on as well, but that was about 6 years ago and only lasted about a year at most.

What I know: With this groove issue, I feel no pain, no redness, nothing really, it's just gross and annoying. At the very base of the nail once pulling back the cuticle slightly it seems like there is a slightly darker discoloration beneath the nail directly under the groove. Cannot confirm very well as the groove tends to obscure things somewhat.

What I guess: The closest thing I have found that may relate to this is 'Longitudinal Melanonychia' but cannot get confirmation on that-- the doctor turned me away saying this doesn't affect my health 😠 But I have scheduled to see another. I assume some sort of fungal issue.

What I've done so far: I have attempted many things and natural remedies, as I want to avoid any and all surgery, and cannot gain access to any prescriptions to topical fungal applications (if it is a fungal issue)

I've tried warm Epsom saltwater soaks (multiple times per week for maybe a month or two, I don't keep very good track)

Hydrogen peroxide soaks (every day for about a month- this is believed to have helped the ingrown toe years back)

Charcoal/tea tree oil applications (somewhat regular for several months)

Even blue/red light therapy (each day for about a month)

As you can see, I do not hold these attempts as long as I should as they are very tedious, I have seen so little change that I become demotivated, and don't want to waste my time just to find out it doesn't work.

If there are any suggestions for OTC topical applications or other remedies, or any idea as to what the name of this condition is or what may cause something like this in the first place, PLEASE let me know!! I appreciate all responses! Thank you!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.