Had my first ever gastroscopy and colonoscopy today, never again, ever.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, like the title says, I went for my first ever colonoscopy and gastroscopy or endoscopy today, I was given Klean-Prep to drink, 3-4 sachets, with 1L of water each, two on the evening and two in the morning (one if the movement was clear after that, mine was) the prep tasted like some god awful burnt rubber and salt, with some inhuman version of something that masquerades as vanilla.

The movements were pretty fast and almost pure water after the first one, but I had little to no pain with the prep process, I fount it easier to switch between a glug of the prep and a swig of strawberry mineral water and some lucozade sport for the electrolytes and hydration. I experienced extreme cold, shivers and some headaches, but nothing too concerning.

When it came to the gastroscopy, the staff were lovely, they gave me some banana flavoured anaesthetic throat spray in addition to the sedative they administered into a canula on my arm by syringe.

They didn't tell me which or how much, but they were aware that I was worried about the pain, they put a mouth guard in place, I remember them talking, me "mhm"ing and feeling a little claustrophobic with a lot of hands around my face, the next thing I know, I'm being woken up to say it's time for the colonoscopy, please turn onto your side and hug your arm around yourself tightly.

I felt some pain almost immediately, so they administered more sedative, at which point I breathed deeply and tried to block out the pain, I believe I blacked out from pain during the process on several occasions, and then would be breathing quickly, feeling extreme searing pain, but due to the anaesthetic or sedative, I couldn't scream, it was like the pain had taken the ability away, I could only let out an AAGH but it didn't stop them continuing for a good few minutes each time. When they did pause, they dragged the endoscope out and pushed it all the way in again. They couldn't complete it in the end, they got around 3/4 of the way done until I had to BEG them to stop whilst crying floods of tears.

**I'm not writing this to scare anyone, I'm writing it so people are more informed than I was. I expected **MILD DISCOMFORT ** around the bends of my intestine. I did not expect to feel as though my intestine was being twisted, stabbed in 5 places and ripped apart from the inside.

**I should also add that I am no stranger to pain. I have several piercings, many tattoos and have broken bones and had many injuries in my lifetime. **This was truly the worst pain I've ever endured, I'm still in shock if I'm honest.

The doctor who carried out the procedure has asked to see me again in 3 weeks, presumably to find a way to check the remainder of my intestine. There's not a chance in hell that I'll be getting a colonoscopy again for many years without general anaesthetic.

**I understand that many people have this procedure with little or no pain with and without the sedative, I just thought I'd share my experience to see if anyone has had anything similar? **

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

thats awful. I didn’t feel anything and not aware of anything at all because I was given propofol and was not awake for the entire thing. It’s the only way I would ever do it. therefore, I don’t mind going back for a routine colonoscopy in 10 years. or another endoscopy. take care of yourself

• Posted

I'm 24 and have rapidly lost lots of weight in addition to lots of stomach problems, I'm high risk as it was suspected that my bio father was being tested for bowel cancer just prior to his death, this experience has put me off for life! My experience certainly doesn't seem to be the norm!

• Posted

Oh my Chloe I know exactly what you went through. I had a colonoscopy last week I have had two children and I can honestly say, for me, the pain from this procedure was worse than giveing birth. I had sedation and painkiller and it didn't touch me. I have to go back in three years no way unless they give me a general. I am so sorry you suffered like this as well. I have to stress from what I have read it is not like this for everyone we were just unlucky. Also I still have pain and discomfort a week after and constipation.

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.