Had to stop the ibnuprophen

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello fellow hippies

I have had to stop using ibuprophen due to excessive sorness and many ulsers in my mouth. I know it is the ibuprophen causing this problem.I don't mind having to stop them because I would have to stop using them a week beefore I go in for my hip op.

Has anyone elase had this ?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

HI, don't take because it caused stomach upset.

I have heard its not good for your liver.

co-proximal was the best pain killer for me but it was taken off the market.

• Posted

Hi Holly

guess it is because I have been on it for so loong now it is starting to cause me issues.

Yes I remember co proxamol too.

• Posted

I wonder if it is the Ibuprophenor a side effect of the infection you have just been fighting. I always get ulcers the second I get a cold or virus. I hit the Marmite or Vegemite supply, and eat it on bread or mix it into some soup, for the next few days. Full of Vitamin B complex  plus a few more good things, seems to work for my family as well.
    • Posted

Hi Lyn

No I think it is one of the side effects to taking it. I was taking 400mg 3 x per day which is quite a high does. day in day out for months. I had ulcers before but never this bad and didn't hink of the meds causing it.

I have researched this morning and it looks like loads of folk have had this happen so don't think it is to do with the infection Although I would have thought it would not have helped any either.

• Posted

Hi Hailea

Sorry about ulcers. They are nasty.

Try Bonjela from chemist. It does ease the soreness. It is a clear gel and not too bad to use. Ibuprophen causes ulcers in stomach I think so these are much the same I reckon.

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley.

Thanks my whole mouth felt on fire like someone had put hot coals in my mouth. Very uunpleaseant sad

I got myself some iglu. it is better than bonjela and it doesn't sting when you appliy it. It leaves a waxy coating that protects the ulser from any rubbing

I am on last day of antibiotics. Infection is almost gone still got a little ear ache but hopefully it will go.

Yes I know about the stomach ulser risk. I also know about the other risks like heart attacks. There is however no mention of them causing mouth ulcers on the leaflet.

• Posted

How about paracetamol?

It's a real pain when your body rejects or reacts to a basic medicine, my son is allergic to penecillin, so has to be very careful when going to the doctors.

I had nasty effects from Diclofenac (severe stomach/gastric problems), and Tramadol (withdrawal symptoms, as if I was on heroin, very unpleasant).

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham.

Already on paracetamol.1000mg 4 x per day but it is not enough to keep ther pain in check. I am also on slow release morphine tablets and oramorph and only topping up with oramorph helps but I don't want to take it too often because I don't want to become hooked on it

and even that is giving me head aches now on a very low does

• Posted

Hi Hailea,

Could it be antibiotics, they do that to some people.

You will soon be having your op. What a journey

you have had.

love Cathie

• Posted

Hi Cathie

I have been off the ibuprophen for 24 hours now. Ulcers and sore mouth much better.. Still taking antibiotocs. Last one tonight.

Thanks  Cathie

I really hope this second one goes better than the firts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.