Haemochromatosis - can't withstand phlebotomy, anyone else?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed and have had 3 Venesection's to date. My ferritin level is 2400. The first went well, the second drew only 300ml and the last only drew 200ml before I felt faint and they had to stop. Nurses are sending me back to the consultant. Has anyone any advice?

I did all the sensible things before hand such as eat and drink plenty and do not have a phobia of needles. Are there any modifications to taking the blood that may help (i.e. Can they IV saline in at the same time to counter volume loss of blood?) my blood pressure tanks shortly after starting the procedure.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, most definitely, I have heard of others having an IV saline drip at same time.  Also make sure your feet are elevated.  The only time I did not and I had those problems.  If you are bleeding too fast, use a smaller canula to slow it down.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, Christ - some hints for your consideration:

Make sure you get in enough salt starting at least a day ahead of time.  Those of us who don't eat processed food can easily run short on salt if we're not in the habit of adding lots of salt when cooking.  Salt was the critical thing for me – nothing worked until I realized that I needed to bump up my salt intake from my usual ½ tsp of salt a day to 1 tsp or even more.

Wiggle your toes during the blood draw so that you're pumping blood back from your legs as efficiently as possible.

And, as Sheryl says, ask to be laid back with your feet elevated, and to have the blood drawn out more slowly.

My last hint is to take a rehydration drink with you - my favourite is half mango juice (but any high potassium juice would be fine), half water, and 1/8 tsp of salt.  If you put the drink in a camelbak or other hands-free drinking system with a straw, you can keep on sipping even when you're lying flat.

• Posted

Ooh, sorry, Chris, I typed your name wrong!
  • Posted

Hi chris.

I have the same. My blood is really slow to draw and my blood pressure always drops.

I now have half a pint of saline before the blood starts to draw and another half pint whilst they take the blood. They still have to check blood pressure every 5 mins to make sure it's not dropping off too much. I also drink 3 litres of water before I get there.

It is getting better and is now only taking about 40 mins where as it started off taking about one and a half hours to take only half a pint of blood. They always take blood pressure at the end and won't let me leave until it's back up to what it was when I arrived. Sometimes I manage a full pint sometimes less but something is better than nothing.

Laura

• Posted

I always have an IV of saline before my blood draw, it really helps with the blood pressure and light head feeling

• Posted

Thanks all, good advice which I'll try!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.