Haemoptysis after covid vaccine.

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, i was diagnosed with bronchiectasis about 2 and a half years ago. I am a 20 year old male, never really had any exacerbation or daily symptoms of bronchiectasis ( i also have asthma and it is well controlled, i don't really take any medication for it as i don't really have flare ups). On april 15th i had my first shot of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for COVID-19. I never had the disease ( not that i know of, i have not been sick for almost two years now ). After six days of taking the shot i woke up with blood tinged sputum in the morning, i got really scared and i started forcing myself to cough( i don't really cough as i don't have too much sputum, and if i have it is usually brought up without coughing ), after coughing more and drinking a hot cup of tea, i brought up more, but way less than a tablespoon, just small drops of blood. I thought it was from a nose bleed, as i have allergic rhinitis too and i take a nasal corticosteroid spray in the spring as my allergies get annoying( and there was blood coming from my nose too, it happens often with this corticosteroid). It hasn't happened for some time and i started to really feel ok, no more anxiety, until two days ago when i brought up some mucus that had some blood in it, only once. Other than that i have not spat out any more blood tinged sputum and i don't have any other symptoms, i am fairly active( not as before now with the pandemic, but still fairly active), non smoker ( i live with people that smoke, so i inhale it sometimes), normal BMI, not had an infection in a pretty long time. I spat blood in the past, last time when i was sick but it was from the bronchitis i had, all my friends were sick and i caught it too. It went away with a 7 day course of cefuroxime. Now i am a bit puzzled and a bit afraid as tomorrow i have the second shot of the vaccine. Could it be something i should worry about? I don't have any other symptoms.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have had both Pfizer vaccines with little in the way of side effects.

I occasionally get blood tinged sputum & have learnt not to worry about it.

Sorry you have had no other replies. It used to be that we were emailed when a new topic or a reply came up but this no longer happens. It is just by chance that I happened to look today.

I hope the second vaccine didn't cause you any problems.

• Posted

Am not a physician but I had a dormant case of ME ( as well as Bronchiectasis) which seems to have been activated by the Pfizer jab. I looked on the forums in the states, and many people reported suddenly having symptoms again. To be honest, it is activity limiting and a bit miserable, but am assuming it is temporary. Still, I think we should all report such symptoms, 1. to inform the medical system 2. to have this in our individual records 3. to get whatever help is needed and available.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.