Hair Loss Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve had PCOS for a year and a half now and experienced slight hair loss on my scalp. I’m lucky that I had a lot of hair to begin with so while it bothered me, I wasn’t freaking out about it. WELL in the past month my hair loss has increased drastically and I am beginning to freak out. What have people done for this? So far I’ve heard of taking biotin and using rogaine. Is there anything else? Im worried that it will never grow back and/or get worse. Does it grow back if you get your pcos under control?

Any info would be appreciated thank you for reading!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you and know what you're talking about.

Is the PCOS the only condition you have? Are your thyroid hormones ok? If not this can  contribute to hair loss. If you don't know -check them out.

I'm afraid I cannot tell you if all of the hair grows back. I'm 40 now and was diagnosed 15 years ago. I can say that at some point I started losing hair and that my hair got thinner. But I managed to improve the quality and thickness of my hair. It definitely isn't the way it was when I was in my early twenties, but it's much MUCH better.  So much better that nobody believes I suffered from hair loss.

I don't know what your hormonal status is, but I'd start with insulin and androgen hormones. If they are fine I'd check my body weight, fitness level and nutrition. More exercising, eating healthy (low (processed) carb, if possible no sugar) and supplements like silica, keratin, collagen to name a few.  B-vitamin complex, Zn...

If androgen hormones are somewhat high and/or they're fine but you're sensitive to them (I hate this one...), you could try to regulate it with Saw Palmetto. As far as I understood this supplement gives results for as long as you take it but it does not treat the issue. 

Higher protein intake helped me a lot. So now even though I used to be vegan, I had to start eating meat from time to time. Difference is obvious -it pains me to say. I couldn't eat veggie protein sources since they made me bloated.

I don't know how rogaine works, but I hope that you had thoroughly read EVERYTHING - users' comments included - before you started using it. There are some products on the market that work only for as long as you use them - once you stop, hair loss comes back with a vengeance.

Scalp massage is always a great idea. You'll finds tons of material on youtube.

In conclusion, when you start managing the PCOS, your hair will start to grow back to some extent.

Consistency and patience are crucial.

Here's a good article on PCOS: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812885/

Good luck!

• Posted

I experience the thinning of the hair last 3 years. My thyroid levels be up when I do notice the breakage. Dealing with PCOS been a struggle always ups or down just keep researching as well as a postive attitude💝

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.