Hairloss at the age of 17

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. Im writing this post because I'm out of ideas..... So as you can tell the subject is hairloss. My hairloss started when I was 15.I usually wear a cap everytime I'm outside My friends started to notice thinning at the crown of the head and I didn't really think of it much but when I sometimes have a cold hand on the crown part I started to feel my cold hand more than the other parts of the head. So I started to freak out a little bit and think this is it. Im going to be bald. A year after I started to experience a lot of hairloss. I found a lot of hair in my hand when I shampooed it and I told my mom immediately. None of my brothers, cousins, father or my mom's or dads fathers are bald. My bigger brother hasn't experienced any baldness at all. Ive done blood work and everything looks good. I've searched medical care to try to figure out why I'm losing so much hair. They blame it on genetic hairloss which is false. Sure maybe the hair has gone up but not at the level I am at the moment. The doctors really do not recommend Finasteride because of the bad side effects but they say that it's an option. Also Minoxidile but it's apparently 1/5 it works out and pretty obvious that the hair that has grown when it works out falls out if you stop using it. My barber really thinks it's hormone imbalance. That's what I also think but I'm not a doctor so I can't say what it really is. I can't do anything my hair like putting some hair gel in or even brush it. Then I can see that it's starting to thin even more.

Please help me. I'm just losing confidence every time I'm looking at it. I'm trying to hide it as much as possible with a hat so people don't laugh at me.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi jacob46184, I would encourage you to find a hairstyle that you like and that is suitable for thinning hair. Would it be an idea to try a short buzz cut?

In terms of practical considerations, wearing a hat is a sensible option especially on a sunny day. I would recommend a hat made of SPF 50 material and applying sunscreen to your scalp is also a good idea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.