Hand pain when writing

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey there,

Please move me along if I'm in the wrong place 😃 there's something that's really worrying me and is quite painful.

For the last six weeks or so, I've noticed a painful place in my hand; around my middle finger knuckle, it hurts if I pick up something heavy, flex my hand or if I try to write. There is a small lump there but I can't tell if its new. Resting it has helped (for the last few weeks) but still when I pick up a pen and try and write my hand starts to spasm and it hurts, it means my handwriting is illegible (I need to use my hands for work 😦 ) and I can't seem to write on a straight line anymore, it's like my hand feels painful and tight, mainly in that one spot.

I have broken one of the bones in my hand (little finger, embarrassingly called a brawler's fracture! I was stupidly showing off) in 2019 but once that healed my writing / hands were fine, up until a few weeks ago.

The only other thing I can think of is I made a big effort to neaten up my handwriting / hold a pen in a different way and a week or two after that my hand started hurting. Going back to my original pen position helps a little but my hand still behaves oddly and still hurts.

I've googled everything I can think of but find very little of use other than talking about completely losing the ability to write which is depressing - I was hoping someone here might have experienced this or might know what it could be.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I've been writing with my left hand in the interim although this has been tiring.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.