Hand swelling after humerus fracture

Posted , 8 users are following.

I fractured my humerus (badly) while abroad on holiday.  I had surgery to fix it - 4 flexible nails from elbow to shoulder.  Three months on and I'm still in a brace.  I'm receiving excellent physio but the pain is only just starting to improve.  However, what bothers me more is that my hand is still very swollen and very painful.  I cannot close my fist. The fracture clinic told me this was normal and would improve in time, but this is really hindering my recovery, in particular my ability to drive and return to work.  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  And how did you deal with it?!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Ugh, sounds terribly frustrating!  Are you icing your hand/arm several times throughout the day?  Are you able to elevate your hand with support above your hip, waist, chest?  Have you discussed i.e. asked your physical therapist for suggestions to reduce the fluid/swelling from your hand?  What does your physical therapist offer?  I hope it goes well for you!!  Hang in there!!
    • Posted

Yes, it is frustrating!  Physio says it will get better with time but doc says it could be CRPS. I have no fine movement in my hand and as a nurse it's vital for my job.  I'll certainly give ice a try and continue squeezing my tennis ball!

• Posted

ICE ICE ICE use baggies, frozen water bottles, frozen veggies in a bag...ice it at least twice a day!!  As a nurse, you know the benefit of ICING!!  GET TO IT!!  You will be okay!!

• Posted

Yes, I know - you're absolutely right! Even as we speak I am sitting here with an ice pack on my hand. I'll let you know how I get on!

• Edited

Oh how I wish I could call you up and talk to you right now lol. Almost 7 weeks in with this badly fractured humerus (near my elbow) and I feel like I can't do a thing with this swelling. Constant ice wraps. I hope you see this.. when did the swelling finally subside?

• Edited

I guess it took about 3 or 4 months for the swelling to go down.  I remember going back to work (nurse) with some slight swelling.  Physio told me to exercise my hand by squeezing a tennis ball and that’s something you can do while just sitting around.  He also kept stressing that everything I was experiencing was NORMAL and would take time, ie. pain in shoulder, elbow and fracture site, hand swelling, discolouration of arm,  inability to straighten arm.  My fracture was a year ago today and Im still under the care of fracture clinic.  Do everything your physio tells you and you too will get there.  Promise!
  • Posted

I fracture a 3 inch slanted break in my humerus. First it swelled and blood like all the way to my hand. Cleared up in 3 weeks and except for brace and some pain when doing my exercises was pretty normal. Then I woke up one day and arm and hand are so swollen it pains to try to even move my arm. Elbow is purple. Doc said normal but I find it hard to believe 6 weeks into healing it swelled like this and it wasn't swollen. Did you have a time in beginning it wasn't swollen then later dwelled?

• Posted

I have the same problem,after i had surgery on my humerus ,My Dr said that injury to the radial nerve happens to  some  who had this operation ,it's also called hanging wrist,I can not move my hand ,I's been 3 weeks since my surgery ,I just started physical therapy and praying that this will help the   radial nerve to wake up and i can start to li

get feeling back in my hand........

• Posted

I have the same problem,I just started physical therapy,hoping this will help.....
  • Posted

Hi Valhalla

I recently fell and pretty much shattered my hu.merous bone in 2 places that was very very displaced . I had surgery 2 days later Dr said it was a very bad break and very fragile even with the plate and screws from shoulder to elbow .I was told do nothing at all for 4 months. I apparently had nerve damage also half my hand is totally numb and other half only a little but it hurts. I assume this is gonna be a long recovery . Thank

• Posted

Hi, my name is Pat. i fractured (crushed) my humerus on January 24,2023 and chose not to have surgery. i had the option of surgery or a sling. after about 3 weeks, my hand began swelling painfully and i can no longer move it. i was given no information about this and thought it was my fault somehow. my heart goes out to all who are suffering from this setback. can you tell me how you are doing now after 3 months? i would appreciate it very much. God bless you. Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.