Has amitrip caused anyone's heart to race

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was given elavil for IBS depression years ago and I don't remember the dosage but my first dose caused my heart to race. I told my doctor and he took me off. Now many years later another doctor wants to put me on it for severe IBS and stomach pain. I told him about my prior issue but he isn't concerned which surprised me. He wants to start me at 10 mg a night and increase to 30 mg

Has anyone ever had heart issues on elavil and if so at what dose.

And has anyone taken it for IBS and/or stomach pain and if so did it help.

Thks faye

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Faye

?Amitriptyline does not suit everyone and if you had a reaction first time around it is possible you may again. Bear in mind that you do not have to take your Doctor's advice and can sit and talk about what better alternatives there are now. Amitrip is an 'old' drug - it has been used for many years for depression and has helped a lot of people. However, if you feel strongly that it is not the right treatment for you then please research alternatives and talk it out at the Surgery. Every man made chemical compound has side effects and withdrawals which vary from person to person, it is a very individual thing. Research on Google "Side efects on Amitriptyline" to see if others report your individual first experience on it which will enable you to make an informed decision for yourself. I hope this helps and please let us know how you get on with your Doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. I have checked side effects and Amitriptyline can cause your heart to race among other heart problems, but not common.
    • Posted

It may not be in the common group but it happened to you Faye. Enough reason not to take it again I think as others here have posted. I had a very rare side effect on this drug - it triggered sudden onset acute angled closure Glaucoma and within 36 hours I had lost the sight in my right eye. I was fortunate to get to hospital and have emergency laser eye surgery which brought back most of the sight with just some loss of peripheral vision. I know that depression and severe IBS are horrid conditions to live with but I am sure there are better ways of dealing with these other than taking Amitriptyline. 

​Research natural remedies for IBS (there is good solid information out there) and for depression talk again with your Doctor - have you been offered counselling or tried it before? 

I do hope you find the answers you seek and wish you well

• Posted

Hi Faye

I've been on 25 mg of Amitrip for3 years now, I've told 2 Gp,s it makes my heart race in the early hours asking me up.quite frightening..

They just dismiss it I'm weaning off of them now as I'd rather have nerve pain than this ,also my heads always fuzzy I feel like I'm looking in on my life..

My pharmacist said its not a high does so goodness knows what its like on an even higher amount..

• Posted

I personally think you should have stopped it the first time it made your heart race that is so dangerous, that is why my first doctor took me off of it immediately. 
    • Posted

Yes Faye I also think that.

I've been on lits of medication including codydramol for 8years and have just come off of them.I'm also taking lapransonal ( I think that's how its spelt) and they say that's bad for your heart.

• Posted

hi , for nerve pain i was prescribed lyrica yesterday so only used for 1 day (at bedtime) . Amitrip which i took for a couple of days made my brain fuzzy and confused ...even crashed my car into a small stone barrier in a public car park...i just sat there waiting instead of applying the foot brake , while the car was slowly drifiting towards the barrier until it did crash and stopped..cost me a small fortune to repair and i came off amitrip pronto.
  • Posted

Tell your new doctor your experience. 10 mg is a very small dose. It does take a few weeks to give you benefits. I take 75 mg and have not had any negative effects then a dry mouth, during the 26 years I have been taking it.  I need it for a chronic pain condition . I cannot take any pain medicines.
  • Posted

hi faye.

few years to late.

but I've just come across your post and I've just left my local AnE. I'm on amitriptyline and topiramate. and last week bith my dosages were upped for these as I'm on them for severe cluster and chronic migraine attacks. since having my dosage upped my heart has bee constantly racing rapidly at 118bpm to 138 bpm . hospital advised lowering dose until I came off the amitriptyline as this was the cause so after a short stay to monitor heart rate whilst reducing meds and getting heart rate stable I am now slowly coming off the amitriptyline. I hope you found a better medication. I've more so answered for you and anyone else that came across your question now and needed a similar answer.

luck to you xx

• Edited

i just thought i would add here i also have just had to stop amitriptyline as it was causing me tachycardia (which means an increased heart rate), my heart was just always beating way too fast, even if i was totally relaxed, such as eg. even just lying in bed at night about to go to sleep. it was a real shame i experienced this as apart from that, amitriptyline was working so well for me (i was taking about 60mg in divided doses). i was absolutely depression and anxiety free, after taking amitriptyline for about 3 weeks. anyway, i have now switched to citalopram and hoping for the best (i have been off amitriptyline for about 1 week now and my heart rate has completely returned to normal).

• Posted

Hi. I have also been experiencing a rapid heart beat during the night, It is quite worrying. my heart races for what seems like an eternity. I have been taking amiltrypaline for a few months. This makes sense now! I am taking gabapentin for nerve pains so weaning off the amiltrypaline. So many people I have read say this is an awful drug. I am glad I read this here, as I probably would of been paying out to see a cardiologist privately, as my GPs dismiss most things. I never had this problem before I took this drug. Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

hello! I am late here too but I have been trying to do research on amitriptyline. I was recently put on it 10mg a day at bedtime to help prevent migraines- however I am on celexa which is an ssri antidepressant at 40mg a day. I am super concerned with combining them as I've heard about serotonin syndrome.

I have taken the amitriptyline 3 days now at night and have had heart racing and palpitations which are super worrisome for me as I also have anxiety and am a hypochondriac (haha) I am considering not taking any more until I can talk to my doctor about it because I'm a little scared

• Posted

Hiya hun, how did u get on with the citalopram and amitriptyline ? did u stop taking amitriptyline? I've been on amitriptyline for years, and just this morning started citalopram

I'm scared of serotonin syndrome too..

• Posted

so weird. I was on this for 9 days 10 mg day. severe chest pains. high heart rate. since stopping 3 weeks ago chest pain is almost gone but my resting heart rate is high now. 95 bpm+. randomly it jumps for no reason. I've even been to the ER. I wonder how long this will last. help

• Posted

Been on ami 25 mg for 6 years. My heart races. Wake up feeling it run every night. Had heart failure 6 months ago. Would not tell me why. I am athletic and exercise every other day working my heart. My heart doc wants me to get off of. He said skull and cross bones flagging this medication! Tried to wean down to 12.5mg and felt depressed. Read and found many bad stories about tricyclics> ami. Got back to 20mg scared to make a move. Primary says I should continue taking because it would be too much a shock and cause worse heart issues to try and get off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.