Has anybody lost their job due to hemifacial spasm?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I didn't lose mine, because I'm a civil servant, but I think that, if not, it would be extremely easy to lose my job due to my facial appearance, since I work attending people face-to-face.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My understanding is that if you were dismissed from your job due to HFS, it would likely be discrimination and a human rights issue. It would be different if YOU are uncomfortable facing people, or have other symptoms that affect your ability to function or do your job. If that is the case, your employer should be working with you to find alternate role for you that you are comfortable with. But for you to be fired or dismissed from your job due to your appearance is not something that should be happening in today's world.

• Posted

Yes, you're right GeeMGee, but things happen, and the world not always is a fair place. If you ask for certain jobs with HFS I think you might be refused because of that, obviously they're not going to say to you that it's because of that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.