Has anyone ever been diagnosed with Mycobacterium?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My sputum culture appears to be growing MAC, a mycobacteria and I AM VERY WORRIED. I know that is a bad diagnosis and difficult to treat. HAVE any of you bx friends ever had this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i might be growing that one too. Final results in about 3 weeks. Anxious to hear experiences and I share your worry...

• Posted

i have had Non tuberculosis mycobacteria for about 2 yrs now but has seemed to stay away for months, it is very hard to get rid of but its something they dont tend to treat, dont worry about it, its just hard to get rid of

• Edited

Im happy to hear from someone else with non tuberculosis mycobacterium. I havent treated mine either because it seems to appear and then disappear in cultures. the treatment is so harsh that I dont want to think if it if its not necessary.

• Posted

I'd be interested to find out how your symptoms presented. I'm currently assessing whether I should contact my GP, originally I spoke to a NP as I was coughing phlegm up which had an unusual colour, dark green/mixed grey, black which caused alarm bells as a non-smoker and fairly healthly individual. She said to contact again if the symptoms persisted which I suppose they have to a lesser extent, I may cough up a small amount of phlegm once every 2nd or 3rd day but currently still has a strange colour several weeks on.

• Posted

Robyn, you don't say what you have done about it so far but not to worry until you do more research. I have bronchiectasis and other lung conditions and I had the same thing happen when I was dxd with mycobacterium gordonae and what I read put my mind at ease then went to infectious disease doctor who suggested I do nothing since that particular one could be a false alarm. I later had a dx of MAC and was still not too alarmed but I thought I'd try Vitamin C IVs for 10 weeks and I was lucky. It seemed to have gone away as that next sputum test was negative, but in my mind I wondered if the dx was just wrong to begin with. So by now you've probably talked to a doctor and had more tests and done more reading - there is plenty online about the subject. But I do have to say I was very worried about having to take 3 or 4 antibiotics for months/years and I even joined a support group and got to sit with 10 people who were on those antibiotics. I hope you have arrived at a good solution.

• Posted

yes i have had it for over a year, it has now been gone for months, they dont tend to treat it because the treatment is so harsh, it should go away at some point dont worry about it too much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.