Has anyone experienced this ??

Posted , 8 users are following.

At night I have to get up EVERY HOUR to urinate. It is really making me fatigued. Here is some background .I have stage 4 CKD. As of six months ago my GFR was 29. I'm in the process of getting referred to a new kidney doctor. Last week my General doctor took some tests so I won't know my new GFR until my appointment on October 13. During the last two months my symptoms have changed. I am urinating every single hour at night. I feel as if I can't catch my breath. it now no matter how badly I have to go takes me several minutes to get the urine out. no matter how much pressure I have and desperate need to go it's difficult to get the urine out. My hands are swollen, my face is swollen as well as my feet. I've been getting headaches, awful ones.Has anyone experienced the urination issues? Is that part of CKD? thank you for your help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Realsis, in my opinion there are a few issues here.  My GFR is around the same and i had similar problems 5 years ago wanting to urinate often especially through the night, it was strange that if i stretched my legs out straight while in bed my symptoms eased.  Mine was found to be a small blockage between bladder and kidney which meant although i was able to pass urine it was backing up into my kidney.  It might be worth asking for a test (basically they pump radioactive solution into you body and then X-ray it for about 20 minutes to see if there is a blockage).  The solution for me was a stent which has worked well.  The other thing is you dont have to wait for GFR results (are you in the UK) if i have mine done on a Friday i can call the doctors or hospital on the Tuesday afternoon for the results.  Also how old are you ?  Sorry for the many questions but i went through a similar thing :-(
  • Posted

Hi,

I would get this checked out and ask for further investigations.  As CKD progresses you urinate less frequently if anything.  Don't just assume its CKD related if you are a bloke it could be prostate related you don't need to be of more mature years for this to be the case.  Trollking is correct in saying there is not a long wait for GFR results and usually if they are concerned they will tell you same day, however this may be different in other countries.  good luck smile

• Posted

When I was at 29 I was short of breath and urinating about every 4 hours during the night. No swelling. I am at 16 now and still the same symtoms but no swelling.

• Posted

Have you called your doctor with your new syptoms?  It sounds like you are experiencing Uremia. Uremia (uremic syndrome) is a serious complication of chronic kidney disease and acute kidney injury (also known as acute renal failure). It occurs when urea and other waste products build up in the body because the kidneys are unable to eliminate them. These substances can become poisonous (toxic) to the body if they reach high levels.

Prolonged or severe fluid buildup (edema) may make the uremic syndrome worse.  All your syptoms seem to fit.  You have probably seen your doctor by now.  Hopefully things are better.  Let us know. 

• Posted

Realsis

I'm stage 4 and urinate every hour at night.  I had a TURPS to help the flow hoping I'd sleep better.  The result was improved flow but I still need to urinate every hour.  I guess the kidneys can't cope or are just working overtime.  I do need sleeps in the day to catch up.  But now I don't feel like its the end of the world.  I just can't do overnight stays with people or stay at places where there is no onsuite bathroom.  But I can live with that, no big deal yet.

• Posted

Sorry Realsis.  I mean to say I sincerely hope you overcome the swelling and you can feel comfortable again.  Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.