Has anyone had a virtual gastroscopy ?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had various stomach problems for years with many investigations.

Because of my gag reflex I refused any endoscopies after the one I had in 1981.

This time my GP has suggested a virtual gastroscopy, It seems a good idea. Has anyone here had one? Are they commonly performed by the NHS? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm so glad it isn't just me. I've had mid-abdo pain on right side since May. Had antibiotics, lansoprazole, two ultrasound scans and they cannot figure it out so sending me for a gastroscopy. I am so terrified and anxious about this that I'm having sleepless nights and it is affecting me at work. I've re-scheduled the appointment twice already! I plan to have sedation but I'm terrifiied of knowing what is happening but being unable to tell them to stop. I also don't believe my problem wil be found with a gastroscopy as I fear it is bowel related as it's to the right of my belly button. I bloat and get bad pain in that area. My bowel feels as though it gets inflamed and may protrude through my stomach wall, and so when I bend most of the time it feels as though there is a mass although it isn't that way all the time (but is that way 99% of the time). I have no blood in stools, no diarrhoea, (more prone to constipation due to being on co-codamol for arthritis) but I'm an otherwise healthy 42 yr old woman. This is ruining my life and don't feel I'm being listened to by my GP or the gastroenterologist he referred me to who stated "it's gall stones". No it isn't!!!

• Posted

My wife is OK having a gastroscopy and has had two.

There is the other option for you of the camera pill. I had no real qualms having a colonoscopy but it stimulated my vagus nerve and made my BP and heart rate go through the floor and caused panic in the room and I later found that it had put me back into AF.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice, I'll see if the NHS provide it.Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

The NHS provide everything but not everywhere. Some areas have equipment that others don't.

You are entitled to ask to be referred to a hospital that has the treatments that you want.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.