Has anyone had pinworms and not been able to get rid of them?

Posted , 2 users are following.

my husband somehow contracted pinworms and gave them to me and my son . we all took the over-the-counter medicine and he was fine . However my son and I are still infected months later . We have taken Reese's pinworm medication three times and mebendazole treatment three times. they always come back within a week or a week and a half. We have cleaned our entire house every time we do treatment and for the entire time we've been infected. I mean we change our sheets and comforters every single day. Even taken down the curtains and washed them. Shower curtains, stuffed animals, we wipe down every surface in the house as soon as we get up and shower twice a day. so I'm not sure why we can't get rid of these things. I'm at my wit's end. 😦 also when we have bowel movement we can see Tiny dots the size of a pinhead floating around on top of the toilet. from what I've read pinworm eggs are supposed to be microscopic but we can see these things floating around. I talked to the doctor yesterday and she said that sometimes you can see. I talked to the doctor yesterday and she said that sometimes you can see visible eggs or larvae. Has anyone else had that?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, im sorry to hear this. I too have pinworms and have had them for several months and cant get rid of them. Ive tried countless doses of mebendazole with no effect. I see the eggs and larvae frequently when going to the toilet and i now have them coming out the front and the back. I would try albendazole as this is a lot stronger than mebendazole. I would also reduce the amount of cleaning and dont use soaps when washing yourself as this could be effecting your phd balance. I would recommend pyrantel pamotae. Im on an infectious diseases forumn and several people have tried it and had success stories. Sadly im in the uk and its much harder to get pinworm medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.