has anyone taken the medication Stelara

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have RA and crohns diseases and my doctors want me to start a new biologic called Stelara.  I looked at side effects and like the other biologics they are pretty scary.  Anyone know about this drug?   I did not tolerate humira or cimzia both biologics due to serious side effects

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I can't comment on any side effects.  I've had two doses without any problems.  I've not seen any improvement either.  My consultant thinks after 8 weeks I would know if its working, however the home nurse told me some of her patients have taken 5 doses to respond.  I take an injection every 8 weeks.

• Posted

I hope it works for you.   I still haven't decided if I want to try this drug 

Keep us posted on how you are doing.   Good luck!   Gloria

• Posted

Hi. I started this drug in december 2017. One infusion in hospital, then self inject every 8 weeks. Only side effect I've had is the first couple of times it made me really fatigued. Apart from that, nothing. The home delivery firm is rubbish and was getting them a month late which had now caused my fistula to reopen and abcess come back. It was a 15cm pelvic abcess. Had a drain in for 6 months....

• Posted

oh, that is terrible about the late delivery.   I hope the drug works for you.

Best wishes   Gloria

• Posted

It was working fine until the late deliverys started. Hope all works well for you.
  • Posted

I received the Stelara initial infusion dose 16 weeks ago and self administered the second dosage 8 weeks later. I will shoot the third dose this week. I had been on Humira for the preceding 18 months, achieving nearly symptom free remission when a colonoscopy revealed significant narrowing at the Iliam, prompting my GI to recommend the switch. after starting the Stelara initially I continued to experience only slight Crohns symptoms (some occasional BM irregularity, little pain) which have seemed to worsen in the past couple of weeks, perhaps indicating that the Stelara one ml. dosage is insufficient for the 8 week period between dosages. I will see my GI in another three weeks to assess this and other issues regarding my care.

• Posted

Hi Jack

I never did start the Stelara but decided to try Cimzia once more after a year off of that due to some palpitations. I don't know about the 1 ml dosage but perhaps your GI doc will increase the dosage. I hope it works for you. It may take a bit longer to take effect

If Cimzia is not effective the GI doc wants to go with Stelara since it works differently than the TNR blockers.Please post again to tell us how you are doing and what your consultant decides.

• Posted

Hi all, I have Crohn's disease, I was taking inflixamb but has stop working after 16 months, I will soon be starting Untekinumab any feed back would be great, I have tried Humira and Methotrexate, Thanks Twiglet,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.