HAS DIOVAN HURT YOU..OR HELPED YOU

Posted , 5 users are following.

It has definitely hurt me big time....lots of terrible side effects....

How has it ruined you..

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

in what way do you mean, louis? i am on my 9th day of low dose losartan and have had lots of unpleasnt symptoms some of which do not seem to be going away, blood pressure very up and down - often more up than before, but have heard it can take weeks for an ARB to work
    • Posted

Annie...you're on Losartan...the cousin of valsartan ( Diovan)my medicine.... I believe the side effects of your own medicine has already began to harm you according to your own comment

• Posted

louis33188...both Losartan & Valsartan are of the same class of blood pressure medications..meaning they are ARB's. They may work on the same principle, but could have just a few minor different ingredients. I know some who have taken Losartan, then switched to Valsartan & got better results. Also, it can make a difference if there's a diuretic in the table. 

As for annie78444's medicine already beginning to harm her according to her comment, I would say her body is ADJUSTING to the medication. Medications don't do wonders in just a few days. Some people will see/experience differences in a few days, & for some it could take a few weeks. Doctors usually prefer a patient to be on a new medicine for a period of about 30 days simply to give the medication a chance to do its job. IF a patient should suffer side effects that are truly unbearable, then of course, the medication could be changed. There are some people out there who will whine about a medication after taking it for just a couple of days. Please don't misunderstand, I am not inferring this is the case with you, but I've experienced this in both my private life & here in forums. Remember too, that as the body adjusts to the medications, a lot of the times the side effects either lessen or diminish. If an ARB by itself doesn't work satisfactorily, a diuretic could be added. Usually doubling the dosage (if on a low dose) doesn't have much success because it only increases the chance of more side effects. If the diuretic added doesn't  work, a Calcium Channel Blocker could be added, or the patient could simply go on an ACE. There are all sorts of different options. I am not a doctor, but have had experience in all of this. I got absolutely no education whatsoever when my previous doctor put me on blood pressure medications. It was "take this/that"...it took a long time before we finally got things under control. My body has always responded well to medications, but the doctor always made me very uncomfortable, with me winding up being upset going to the office, waiting my turn, then finally in the office with him. I then decided to go back to my former doctor, & I'm so glad I did. Just prior to that, I did extensive research on blood pressure medications so I could have a better understanding of what I was putting into my body, etc.etc. 

In your post you did not say how long you have been taking the medication, nor did you list the side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.