Has starting b12 and folate caused my chronic reflux?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had bloods done and was told I had anemia. I was given injections over two weeks then 3 monthly and folate tablets daily.

During my first injections I started to notice my chest getting tight. It got worse with bloating, excess saliva, burping and no being able to breathe properly. I could nt eat or drink without pain, so am underweight now.

Went back to doc who said I had cracking in lungs was given antibiotics, inhaler, labsoprazone 30mg , now upped to 90mg and booked an appointment for endoscopy.

I had my b12 injection recently and have started feeling bad again, as symptoms had improved a little, as had started to eat a little more. Has the b12 caused my reflux problems??? Any info would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I very much doubt it. More likely is you have an underlying digestive condition which has resulted in low B12 and folic acid. I would be asking your GP to investigate further into your digestive problems. B12 is just a vitamin and has no effect on your digestion. It has been given by injection and so would bipass your digestive system.
  • Posted

I had difficulty breathing after taking Cynocobalamin injectinos for B12. After the first one I didn't notice anything, next week 2nd one I had difficulty breathing within 2 hours, but didn't connect it to the injection and thought it was Ferrous Sulfate supplement which I had just started, the next week I wasn't taking any iron supplements but just got the B12 shot and within 1.5 hours had difficulty breathing.  My GP refused to accept the connection and said it was anticipatory anxiety, but I told him in fact I was looking forward to the injection as I was hoping to get energy from it.  I realised I had problems even with tablets and liquid for B12. I had taken hydroxocobalmin injection 4 years ago and they had agreed with me.  Don't know whether it is aging that has caused my body to change or whatever. I too have low Ferritin and B12. Folate results are yet to be back.  I am 50.  How old are you.
    • Posted

Hi I m 43 and was looking forward to b12 injections, as was constantly tired and could nt put weight on. I have never suffered from anxiety.

I have been ill the last three months. Never had indigestion or anything before. Now I can t work or function properly. The acid has now caused pain in my ears, can hardly eat.

I was starting to feel a bit better before my 3 monthly injection. Now symptoms are all back. My doctor does nt seem concerned about my weight loss, just said to see consultant when I get my endoscopy.

Some people must have a bad reaction to b12 as everything has side effects. I m still exhausted as can t sleep properly because of reflux and not eating much. I

Have three daughters to look after , which is so hard at the moment, but I have no control over it .

Its good to know that I m not the only one to get a reaction and suffer chest pain and tightness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.