Have had 6 SP on my right side now pain on the left but it’s different.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone my name is Kevin and I’m 31 and have been a fitness professional for 10 years. Over the past 3 years I have had 6 SP on my right side. This past March I had a Pleurodesis that failed. Every time they took the tube out my lung would collapse again. I was transferred to St Louis to see a expert who also couldn’t explain why his was happing. I’m sure all of you know that when the tube is clamped and the lung holds they know it’s time to pull the tube. Well 3 separate times this was the case and my lung still collapsed so they performed a Pleurectomy which had now held. Anyone else had one before? I’m full of strange pains but I know that’s to be expected. Now I have been having pain on the left side which has never happened. I have had 2 incidents that felt like a SP but pain went away after 10 minutes. The pain is deferent though. Anyone had SP on both sides but feel different on the left side? Just frustrated and doctors just seem to brush it off. Have seen doctors in 3 different states ( I move a lot with work). All have different ideas and answers none of which seem to help. Thank you to anyone who has some advice. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that, but unfortunately recurrent SPs require major interventions such as yours, which means (at least in my case) living with intense pain and handling recurrent false alarms, especially in the first year after surgery. It's good that the Drs found nothing worrying clinically, although of course I can imagine how frustrating it can be not knowing the cause.

Can you describe the pain? Does it start when you inhale fully? disrupt your breath midway? is lying down or to the side have any effect? 

While all the nasty trouble for me came from the same side of the surgery (right), I did get worrying intense pain from left side.

One cause was from stomach (gastritis/ulcer developed from medication). The intense pain didn't get aggravated by breathing, treated and managed by PPI.

The other cause of left pain was anxiety attacks (usually accompanied with palpitation, dry mouth, blurred vision, managed initially by Lyrica, then weak benzo and now Mindfulness, CBT which are far more effective, also for coping with post-surgery chronic nerve pain).

Wish you healthy recovery, good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.