Have you ever written about your experience with mental health

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

Well,as of writing I am currently sat in the psychiatric hospital.

I have been here now for 10 days and shall remain here for no less than two weeks more receiving treatment.

I have recently been diagnosed with suffering with delusional psychotic disorder.

I don't know how long I have been suffering with this condition,nor do I know what part of my adult life has been real or not but what I do know is that ten months ago it catapulted and ultimately led to me trying to commit suicide,been arrested and placed in here.

The reason I am writing is because I believe that I have one hell of a story to tell and would love nothing more than to put my notes which I have wrote down put into a novel as I believe it would help me with my recovery and also if this project of .I could help even one person suffering from a mental health condition,it can't be all that bad.I am not the most articulate and definitely no Sidney Sheldon or John Grisham but I believe I have come up with a solution of a way of getting my notes transformed into a novel and bringing this to fruition.

Patient.Info is a site that I visited numerous times under different aliases over the last ten months and found it a great source of help and comfort so I feel it is the right thing to do with starting this project of mine in the first place were I saw help.

I was hoping to get some advice on a way of moving forward with this,maybe some people on here know of someone in this Industry regarding the writing of novels.

I would also like to thank those that responded to my posts over the last ten months and offered me there help and support and to thank the people at patient.Info,keep up the good work.Thank you in advance for any forth coming advice,Best regards

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't write it as a novel, more an account of the ups and downs of your life, whilst describing the actual disease itself.

You will need a start, middle and end, with a preface. It should concentrate of the start realities, but also be humourous in places. You will need to chapterise it and it should follow a time line, not flit back and forwards to different times in your life, as it then becomes difficult for someone to follow.

• Posted

I think more people have a mental health issue than they would like to admit. I would say I'm borderline bipolar disorder and would love to write a novel/diary to show everyone else and to help other people.
    • Posted

I agree. I think what we fail to see is that there is no border seperating mental health disorders. There is no mental health 'order'. 

Strangely it is fricking impossible to classify someone as sane, we can only deem one insane.

• Posted

Hi Dylan, yes I have written a couple of novels. One is a psychological thriller called What Laura Saw. I published it on Amazon and it has been doing well. It's a murder mystery, but the central character is suffering from psychotic depression. Although that is a spoiler!
    • Posted

Hello Sarah,

How did you go about getting your novels published.

I am a novice and I am just fishing for advice.

Regards

• Posted

It's a long old process. You either have to go the traditional route and get yourself an agent, or self publish. Getting an agent used to be the only way, but now they still expect you to do most of your own publicity for less of the rewards. Your choice, but it is hard to get an agent so be prepared to submit your work to tens of them and get lots of refusals. Even JKRowling got refused around 60 times, I think. But first you need to make sure your manuscript is as perfect as you can make it. Novels must be over 50,000 words. You can go on sites such as Goodreads to get a lot of help. Then if you don't want an agent you can self publish on Kindle Direct Publishing and createspace for free. Good luck!
    • Posted

I write science fiction BTW not mental illness topics.
  • Posted

Dylan what I do may help you. I just simply blurt anything out onto the notes section of my phone, ready to type up on the computer when I get there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.