Have you had corrective surgery with up to 12 weeks recovery quoted? (hallux valgus, 2nd hammer toe)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Looking for anyone that has anything along the lines of my surgery, here is what I have on my discharge paperwork:  right hallux valgus with second hammer toe, lapidus fusion + chevron + akin osteotomy + 2nd toe EDB tenotomy + EDL lengthening + 2nd pipj 

I've been quoted 10 - 12 week recovery period. Non weight bearing for the first 4 weeks and then potentially 6 weeks in a heel shoe, possibly another 2 in the shoe depending on how it all heals.

Would be great to find anyone in a similar situation.  I am currently 12 days post op

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had left hallux valgus ( aka bunion) and 2nd hammertoe correction surgery of my left foot in November 2013. I have had hallux valgus surgery October 2014 on my right foot.

The timescale you quote is the least amount of time you can expect for recovery. Realistically you need to be looking at up to 12 months or beyond for the recovery.

The heel wedge shoe is what I had as well as crutches.

You need to be aware that you must allow this surgery plenty of time to gain recovery. To hurry it and/or try to begin to adopt normal walking / activities etc before the healing process has completed will not only potentially result in problems arising at a future date but could cause internal foot problems if you try to do too much too soon.

Read the following on the website of The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital  -  " A Patient's Guide to Bunion Surgery ( Hallux Valgus) and Lesser Toe Deformities".

You may find the information invaluable as I did.

Driving is another issue to consider. If you own a vehicle with a manual gear transmission you must be able to perform an emergency stop satisfactorily and you must also notify your insurer that you have had this surgery.

It does not apply if you drive an automatic.

Gillian

• Posted

Thank you for your reply gillian14549, I appreciate all the advice you have given and have had a read through the recommended guide.  I guess if we were aware of the "real" timescale for these ops we may not have it done!  As badly as I needed to get this surgery I was hesitant just from the original 8 wks quoted at consultation!  I can see from what you have said and this forum in general the reality is going to be quite a bit longer.  I will try not to "run before I can walk" but sitting still has never been a strong point of mine!  I do drive a manual car and had my right foot done, I do hope that it isn't going to be too long until I am able to drive.  You know what they say, you don't miss the things you take for granted until you can't do them anymore!  Walking unaided is one such thing
  • Posted

Hello, sept 17 I had scarf, akin on left foot, pin in second toe, lengthening of tendon third toe. In jan right foot chevron, scarf, akin, second toe pin, weil osteotomie, 3th, 4th and 5th toe lenghtening of the tendon. My surgeon allows walking on the heel shoe from day 2 on for 6 weeks. So for me it's almost over. I had no pain, just 3 or 4 days taking paracetamol and ibuprofen. Must say my swelling was not bad. When you have a lot of swelling, it gives more problems.

After my first op I could wear boots after the 6 weeks and other shoes from week 8 on.  Could drive after 2 weeks with automatic gear. Went skiing mid of december. My left foot is now perfect, without any problem and I think it will be the same for the right foot. So you see healing is different for everybody.

12 weeks seems me very long. I think not weightbearing is due to the lapidusprocedure. They use diffferent osteotomys, depending of the surgeon, to obtain the same result!  I wish you the best.

• Posted

Hi blustardust, Iam in the same boat, Iam recovering from hammer toe surgery, fusion and arthrodesis of the big toe, with calcaneal osteotomy, I have five pins in my toes, with two plates, in my right foot, one in my big toe, and the other is in my heel, I have six screws in my big toe, and four in my heel. I will be four weeks out on monday, and have still been in pain city and have not seen any real improvements other than being able to go a little bit longer lengths of time in between doses of pain meds but I have still needed to be on 2 too 3 oxycodone every 4 too 6 hours for the post op pain.Iam in a cast right now, and will be until may 26th, than I go into a walking boot for another 6 too 7 weeks. Iam non weight bearing right now until may 26th and than I start partial weight bearing.  I also get the pins put on the 26th. How long was your operation? Mine was 2 hours, and I was in the hospital for a few days. Are you getting yours done as an outpatient?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.