Haven't Passed A BM In 6 Days... Worried & Need Advice, PLEASE!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a 36yr. old female & I've been having issues with constipation for awhile now. I also notice it tends to get worse right before my cycles (I also have Endometriosis).. About a month ago was when it got bad & I started stool softeners (steriod-free) after not having a bowel movement for 5 days & passed a large, hard & painful stool. It felt like it caused a couple tiny tears around my anus. The stool softeners helped a lot & I continued to take them every 2-3 days (not every day), to allow the 'tears' to heal up. That seemed to work & I was passing a BM almost daily, which was more regular than I have been in a long time (usual for me has been 2-3 days, sometimes 4 days). So I stopped taking the stool softeners as often & was taking maybe 1 weekly. The past 2 wks. I didn't take any.. NOW, it's been 6 days & haven't had a BM at all! I've eaten normally everyday, been pretty active doing a ton of yard/garden work everyday too. I've taken 3 stool softeners over the last 3 days & still nothing. They don't seem to be working now. When I try to push, it feels like it wants to come out, but it's like my intestines/colon are 'asleep' or something. There's none of the usual cramping or urge to go when I usually need to go..

I have a Dr.'s Appt on Monday, but would like to get some relief now & not sure what will do the trick or work best.. Also nervous that after 6 days I might have an impaction or something? I don't really feel sick or anything & still have an appetite, but not sure if this is an emergency & I should be going to the ER?

Any help or advice would really be appreciated!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

you might have irritable bowel syndrome I have it and it sucks so much I get very hard stools and I get sick to my stomach sometimes I get diarrhea and most times I get soft stools it just depends

• Posted

I too bounce between diarrhea & then conspitation.. sometimes it's even simultaneously. Lately though it's been just conspitation- hard to pass stools, gas pains, etc. I've looked into IBS, which was part of the initial reason I had made this upcoming appt. (I scheduled it a month ago, but this Mon. was the soonest I could be seen by my GP). I definitely check a lot of the boxes for IBS, Lactose Intolerance.. possibly Gallbladder issue. I'm hoping Monday's Appt. will bring me some peace of mind if we can start to work towards figuring all my digestive/bowel stuff out. It really does affect quality of life & mental health.

The stool softeners that I had taken over the past 3 days were able to produce a small BM today, but not enough considering it had been 6 days, so I did go to my local pharmacy today & purchased MiraLAX & also Dulcolax (suppository). I haven't taken either one just yet b/c I wasn't sure if it could cause problems since I'm sure I still have the stool softeners in my system.

My plan is to take the MiraLAX tonight or tomorrow morning & see how that goes.. If still nothing then I have the suppositories as a last option. Hopefully one or the other will get me cleaned out all the way, but I'm nervous b/c I've never taken either of these before & not sure what to expect. Also afraid of what it might mean if neither one ends up working too.

• Posted

Have you tried a laxative like Milk of Magnesium? I'm in the same place you are, and have been taking fiber for a few days and using glycerin suppositories which help some - I have small movements after taking one. I would highly recommend you try that b/c it works immediately.

• Posted

The stool softeners that I had taken over the past 3 days were able to produce a small BM today, but not enough considering it had been 6 days, so I did go to my local pharmacy today & purchased MiraLAX & also Dulcolax (suppository). I haven't taken either one just yet b/c I wasn't sure if it could cause problems since I'm sure I still have the stool softeners in my system.

My plan is to take the MiraLAX tonight or tomorrow morning & see how that goes.. If still nothing then I have the suppositories as a last option. Hopefully one or the other will get me cleaned out all the way, but I'm nervous b/c I've never taken either of these before & not sure what to expect. Also afraid of what it might mean if neither one ends up working too.

• Posted

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. my daughter has IBS constipation. she initially used stool softeners but needed more help. her gastro put her in miralax daily along with low dose ex kax. you could use an enema, milk of magnesium, magnesium citrate(sell bottles at drug store and they are sweet flavored) or ex lax. my daughter now takes lactolulose daily and it allows her to go daily. there are lots of options. you just need help as ibs is a functional disease. good luck

• Posted

• Posted

Between now and the doctor's-appointment, if I were you I really would take either a dulcolax suppository or an enema. Side-effects from either are very rare (so long as you don't overdose).

• Edited

Hi Aly

I am also scared as I haven't been for 6 days..saw my gp today who prescribed movicol. took 4 sachets today fingers are crossed! Also I have been taking suppositories which atleast unplug the crap near the rectum. I've also had 2 teaspoons olive oil and been eating light foods so as to avoid further bloating. let me know how u go

• Posted

So after 5 days , 4 sachets of movicol, 2 teaspoons of olive oil , coffee and walking finally had a nice BM this morning. woohooo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.