Having double bunion surgery and quite overweight

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm having surgery on both my painful bunions in four weeks time. Although I lost a lot of weight last year, I've put it all back on this year and feel very fed up I can't seem to get it off again. My question is, how will I cope with walking to the toilet or bathing after surgery and during my recovery ? Will it be impossible to haul myself around on crutches ? Not fancying the idea of bedpans or bed baths. Any experiences or advice, much appreciated. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had only my left foot done. I stayed I'm my guest room so my hubby wouldn't worry about hitting me during the night. I used a walker to get across the hall to the restroom. I was non weight bearing 4 weeks. The difficult part of using the bathroom was getting up from or sitting down on the toilet while balancing on one foot. I had practiced before surgery. It's difficult to not put your foot down and to rely on upper body strength. I used the walker to push down on when getting up. I bought the walker at Goodwill for $5 and I'm glad I did. Crutches were ok but the walker was far more stable.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your advice. Think I will invest in a walker. They call them 'Zimmers' here I think. Not sure I will be Zimming around that much by the sounds of it !!  Cheers. H
  • Posted

I would say you need to have help doing things.  Yes I can say have ice packs  for swelling , shower stool for the shower,phone nearby, food ina cooler by you, but I think you will need help.  Someone available to help you. I just had one foot done  I have some weight on me and I didn't use crutches because of a shoulder injury.  I used a knee scooter , which takes balance. Even using the scooter you have to push off with a good foot.  I don't see how you could get yourself on the toilet and not put any pressure on eiither foot.  You would need arm strength.  I had a shower bench I bought that has been wonderful during my recovery.   I was able to balance on the other foot, while getting into the shower.  A motorized wheelchair would be good and then you might be able to get it right by the toilet and get yourself over to the toilet using your arm strength.  I think you should practice for a while before you decide to have the surgery to see if you'll be able to handle it.  Maybe go rent a wheelchair for a few weeks to see if its do-able.  

Good luck at whatever you decide.

• Posted

Thank you.  Some good advice there.  I think I may have to live upstairs for a while as our WC is upstairs in our home. There isn't room for a wheelchair so might have to learn to cope with crutches. My husband is going to fit a grab rail in the bathroom to help also. Not looking forward to struggling for a while just to do basic things but looking forward to less painful feet eventually ! Thank you for your post. 
  • Posted

Hi Helen.

I had double bunion surgery in 2006. Recovery was incredibly difficult. You cannot get around the house properly unless you walk on the outer sides of your feet and it still hurts like mad. From doing this I have developed Mortons Neuromas in both feet that are still very painful and I need surgery to have these removed. The neuromas happened because of over pronation, i.e. putting pressure on the other side of the foot; in my case. I had no warning of this prior to bunion surgery and wish that I had. I also have IBS and in the aftermath of the surgery suffered dreadful constipation, to the point I had to be admitted to hospital with it. It was a combination of not moving around plus high dosage pain killers. So I would recommend you have the bunions done just one at a time. I don't think they should let anyone have double surgery, and I would never in a million years recommend it. I also now have the right bunion growing back again, bunions just run in our family, I have never worn a high heel or narrow shoe in my life. Let us know how you get on but I wish you all the best and hope you do just one at a time for your best outlook. I wish I had.

• Posted

Hi there. Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, here in Surrey, UK, I did not get the option to have one foot done at a time although I did ask...when would I have the 2nd operation?...and the reply came back from the consultant that they do them both together so there is only one lot of recovery and I suppose saves the NHS treatment and care time in hospital. My husband is going to take the first week off with me and I'm going to live upstairs near the bathroom for a while. Not looking forward to it but am in so much pain anyhow that the operation will hopefully cure that in the end. Cheers.
    • Posted

Hi Helen, I cannot put into words how much more painful neuromas are than bunions. I sincerely regret double bunion surgery. I was pressured into it by my boss, as he didn't want me to have 2 lots of time off. Please try and get a 2nd opinion.
    • Posted

Hello again. Thanks again for your reply. Are you resident in UK ? If you cannot afford private health care in the UK, you are left to the mercy of the NHS and more or less have to take what is offered! I am dreading the surgery and complications as you suggest but I too couldn't take off two lots of time from work even if I had been offered two ops. Pray hard for me !! Regards. Helen
    • Posted

Hi Helen, Sorry for delay in replying, I have been away. Yes I am in UK in Lancs. The NHS hospital did not recommend doing both at once, but did so as I was under pressure my boss put on me to not have 2 lots of sick leave. It has been worse for work in the long run with my subsequent appointments and treatments for my neuromas. I still need the surgery for neuromas so it has not been cost effective in the long run. The only thing different now, almost ten years on, is that I got promoted shortly after the op and do now have private health cover. At least the cost to rectify is not a burden to the NHS. Although I do think that the NHS should have warned me of the risk of neuromas. Make sure you rest A LOT and don't walk on the outside edges of your feet. Your husband will need to take a lot more than a week off work to look after you, maybe some other friends and relatives can do shifts? Let us know how you get on, what is your op date, I will say a prayer for you!! Regards, Lucy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.