Having plate and screws removed? Is it a long process?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my tib and fib at the ankle ends in February last year and had to have ORIF on the tibia as it was a very bad break.  I have a plate with several screws in.  Although I have all but recovered (apart from stiffness and a little numbness still) I find the plate is a nuisance because I have no fat or muscle over the top of the plate, just skin and I can feel the plate.  I would dearly like to have it removed but wonder if anyone out there has had this operation?  I was out of circulation for several months whilst I was healing from the break and don't want to have to be incapacitated again before it heals.  Any info you could give me would be appreciated.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Soosisoo,

I know nothing about this in particular, but wanted to offer my support and caring for your suffering.  One question pops into my mind.  What does your doctor say about keeping the plate?

Dawn. USA

• Posted

I forgot to add that I have 8 titanium bone plates in my face and I understand what you mean by having just skin over a plate.  My doc said that I could remove the ones nearest my eyes on each side of my nose, but I declined as the process of taking them out seemed worse than just keeping them!  That was whe I was younger.  Now, 25 years later, as my skin thins with age, I can feel it even more.  But I still feel that keeping the plates is easier for me.
  • Posted

Hi Soosisoo, Im heading to see my doc tomorrow about removing the plate from tibia. I received compound fracture from a motorcycle accident in 2014. I will ask him a few questions and pass on the answers this week. I expect it to be a short op and i think I will be out of the hospital well within a week. Generally they remove stitches after 2 weeks so I think after that time I will be back to normal. BTW Im a 43yrs old male.
  • Posted

I'm a 70 year old female and two years ago in April I slipped and broke my femur.  I had a titanium nail and screws inserted which got me back on my feet straight away.  The problem I was left with was that as I am quite thin the screws were very near the surface on my hip and knee and the hip ones especially would crunch and grind and the ones on my knee caused the tendon to keep flicking over the ends.  I saw a consultant who said I could have the nail and screws removed but when they came to do it they found that the bone had grown over the end of the nail which would have meant a much longer and more difficult operation. It was a day case, I had a general anaesthetic and think the op took about an hour or so but I could have had a local anaesthetic! As they were only able to take the screws out I still have the nail in my leg.  All the crunching and grinding and flicking went  straight away and I am glad I had it done. It felt sore for a couple of weeks and the stitches came out two weeks later and I had to keep a dressing on it for a bit longer while the skin healed up.  I'm really glad I had them taken out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.