Head feels weird all the time. Possible mood disorder (Maybe BiPolar?)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I originally went to the doctors almost 5 months ago because my head has been feeling weird nonstop, no pain just a weird feeling. There are times when it is better than others but it NEVER goes away. Saw many doctors and they don't have an answer for me. Saw ENT, had Blood work and MRI, everything came back normal. Whatever I'm feeling can OCCASIONALLY control my mood. My mood hasn't been changing that much lately but It is a very weird physical feeling that is hard to describe. Doctors feel it could be mood disorder or stress so they are throwing medication at me. Tried 8 weeks of Zoloft and it did help my mood but I still have this weird feeling in my head. I'm afraid of being misdiagnosed but I was just curious if anyone who was diagnosed as Bipolar or any other mood disorder experiences anything similar to this? Ive heard of mood disorders/stress/anxiety causing weird temporary symptoms but never heard of anything lingering like this. I'm just ready for it to stop

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Brandon

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brandon,

I'm diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder which contains an affective part in it.

I don't feel weird but my mood can be elevated (manic) or quite the opposite (down).

Currently I'm on a mixture of meds and am in the depressive phase. I feel as if I'm not existing, as if the personality has been wiped out. Also I've got a huge issue with feelings being not in syncs with logic, meaning that I can understand a thing, i.e. a situation but feel about it differently as if there are two different people living within me. I feel empty all the time and not feeling that I belong to anything or anyone.

What exactly do you mean by weird feeling, can you try explaining it a little bit? Is it sort of an agitation in the chest that you feel? Or something else?

• Posted

EternalFlame,

Im sorry youre going through this, I hope the meds will help you out! My mood changes at first were pretty intense. I would get a random wave that made me not want to talk to anyone but it would only last about 10-15min. People knew something was wrong because id sit there with my face in my hands. My longest "episode" was about 1hr30min. It was such a weird feeling as if I was sad, which I wasnt, but If sad had a physical feeling thats what I would say. It was a like a heavy cloud on my head and I just couldnt talk. 20min later id be fine laughing again.

Now the closest I can get to describing the actual physical feeling I sense in my head all the time would be to hang upside down. Youll feel all the blood rush to your face and your head will start to feel weird. Now take away all of the pressure you feel in your face. Its such an odd feeling. It almost feels like I have the flu minus the pressure but Im not sick. laying in bed all day then you get up for the first time to go to the bathroom and you just feel off. Maybe not that intense because my sinuses arent messed up but pretty similar feeling. Almost kind of numb. Its not really painful but sometimes it is very uncomfortable and I can feel something in my ears at random times but ENT says I'm fine. Sometimes I want to cry because I just want it to stop. Im sorry if thats not detailed enough and kind of all over the place, Im really trying my best to describe it.

• Posted

Do your best to describe the 'weird' feeling in your head. I know it may be hard to describe but provide as much detail as you can as this will help others to try to liken it to symptoms they've experienced or have knowledge of.

I have varying bouts of 'derealisation' and 'depersonalisation' which were extremely alarming in the very early years. It could be this but try to resist the urge to look up these symptoms right now. Firstly describe what you are feeling personally and post it here so people can comment.

Hope you're okay.

• Posted

Would you ever have time frames where you felt normal or would you feel it all of the time?

Now the closest I can get to describing the actual physical feeling I sense in my head all the time would be to hang upside down. Youll feel all the blood rush to your face and your head will start to feel weird. Now take away all of the pressure you feel in your face. Its such an odd feeling. It almost feels like I have the flu minus the pressure but Im not sick. laying in bed all day then you get up for the first time to go to the bathroom and you just feel off. Maybe not that intense because my sinuses arent messed up but pretty similar feeling. Almost kind of numb. Its not really painful but sometimes it is very uncomfortable and I can feel something in my ears at random times but ENT says I'm fine. Sometimes I want to cry because I just want it to stop. Im sorry if thats not detailed enough and kind of all over the place, Im really trying my best to describe it.

• Posted

No no, thats okay. Your description is fine. I know how hard it can be to put it into words. What you're describing may or may not be the same as I have/do experience.

Either way, I feel your pain and I remember especially when I first experienced it how awful it was. I wish I could take some of it from you because I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

The best way I can describe it would be when you've woken up unexpectedly from a really deep sleep and that first few minutes when you feel almost like you're in a bit of a dreamlike state. Your mind feels 'woolley', like this reality isn't real, like you're not quite here fully, like you're half a step behind yourself. At its very worst I can describe it as a kind of state of slight confusion and (rarely these days) its accompanied with anxiety and a feeling of foreboding.

I don't feel it all the time and most often its quite dilluted when I do. However, only recently I had quite a bad spell including the horrible feelings I described above and even then I had spells of relative normal during that first day and the next day I felt a lot better.

The best advice I can give you (and would give myself when I first experienced it) is to try not to focus on the feelings. Easier said than done of course. Distract yourself with things if you can. Try to concentrate on relaxing any tension you find in your body by regularly 'checking' for any tension and releasing it. This will help alleviate anxiety. In my case, I've learned to focus on treating anxiety in myself and this removes a lot of the power from what I'm experiencing and speeds up my recovery. I found in the early times I would constantly be on the look out for the negative symptoms and I'd be in a state of 'high alert'. This I think is not the best course of action and just gives it a bit more power and sustainability.

I hope this helps. Reach out to people who you think will be understanding. Don't let it imprison you from not going out/doing things as this will probably just mean you spent more time focusing on the negative feelings you're experiencing. Keep talking to your doctor and do what you feel is best to help yourself.

Take it easy and drop me a message if you want any more advice/help/pointers. If what I've described above isn't what you feel you're suffering from then that's okay too.

Take care.

• Posted

You're very welcome for reading your post ! When I was younger, I had a 'weird feeling in my head' for years which I never did find out an explanation for. I am bipolar so it's possible there was a connection. Eventually it went away but it caused me a lot of anxiety as I thought i had a brain tumor or something really horrible.

I just think it's something certain people experience but for which the doctors have no cure or explanation.

Try to have faith that eventually it will go away.

It's possible that the antidepressant medication is not going to work for the sensation in your head, although as a bipolar person I take an antidepressant along with anxiety medication, both of which are very helpful for my mood.

• Posted

brandon,

glad you came here to ask

i cant say thats familiar. I'm in the u s and youre in the uk?

rox

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.