Headaches, vertigo and agoraphobia.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have joined today because I am in a pretty bad situation at the moment and I need help.

I am going to try and explain this quickly and to the point.

In mid 2015 I began feeling dizzy and off balance it was horrible and I began to feel on the verve of fainting outdoors. It triggered severe agoraphobia and I haven't been further than 5 minutes from home since. I still feel unbalanced a lot now.

About 3 months ago a headache began, its in one side of my head and will usually throb if I cough and feel a deeper pressure if I bend forward. I get total relief from the headache for a few hours if I take ibuprofen. Also occasional it will throb quite painfully for a few seconds.

In the past week I have had 3 severe vertigo attacks. The room feels like it is spinning , and everything whooses when I move my head. They last under 5 minutes. I t makes me feel so panicked when it happens.

I have severe agoraphobia. Do going to a doctor feels impossible for me just thinking about it makes me want to cry with anxiety. I am so scared that he will tell me I need a scan at the hospital - I would not cope I could not get in one of those machines.

At the same time living with these symptoms if having a serious effect on my mental health. I am beginning to feel depressed and I am scared about what might be wrong with me.

I feel like everything is out of control and I'm scared. I need help, advice and support.

Thank you for reading x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for all the spelling mistakes, I'm using a small touch screen.

• Posted

I'm sorry your having a hard time and it is scary to feel like that and think about the doctors but you really need to go. You can't continue to live the way you are now because it's taking your sanity and happiness. You never know it could be something very simple that they can fix. And if they do need to do a scan and can give you something to help you relax and you want even care. It's better to go and get it checked. You shouldn't have to live like this. So just take a deep breath make an appointment and do it. It will be okay and you will feel better! Let us know how it goes. We're all behind you and rooting for you.

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I'm really sorry that you're dealing with all these symptoms, I hope you have someone around that'll help, at least a little.

First off, unless you're a minor, nobody can force you to do anything unless you were a danger to yourself or others. I don't know where in the world you are, but try finding about possible home visits, either from a Dr, or perhaps a nurse practitioner. If you could access some kind of meds that might help you feel more in control, that could be a start, for getting back control.

• Posted

The first thing you need is CT Scan. This is a very easy procedure. Nothing like a MRI. So go get it done.
  • Posted

Hi everyone.

Thank you so much for all your encouraging and kind words. It means a lot to me just having reassuring words.

I absolutely know that I need to see a Doctor. I am going to have to get an action plan together in my head first, of what to do incase of panic attacks etc. I know that sounds silly but it will make me feel easier about it if I have a worse case scenario plan.

I will update here on how I'm getting on x

• Posted

It might help to look for some kind of simple relaxation techniques, online, perhaps breathing exercises, so they/it could be used during the visit. If at all possible, have someone with you for support, one who knows what kind of emotional issues you're dealing with. Please do give us an update, too. :-)

• Posted

Hi Rachel, sorry you are having these troubling symptoms. About 8 yrs ago i had many of the same symptoms especially the dizziness. I had a very stressful job and i started having a left sided headache. I actually fainted at work and i too became fearful that it would happen away from home so i didnt want to stray far from home. Then i started feeling a strange tickle deep in my inner ear with tinnitus. The tickle turned into a burning throbbing pain in my ear/head that has never left. After about a yr my body acclimated to the dizziness and that doesn't bother me much anymire. The oain and tinnitus does. You will need to get a scan but they can give you something to relax. I have had brain surgery and radiation treatments for different nerves in my head but so far it has not helped me. Zoloft might help you get through all this. Its important to get a scan to rule out a tumor. I know anxiety can be debilitating but zoloft will take it away and you will be ok again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.