Heading to ER in couple hours likely - help?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

I had herniated discs at L4-L5 two years ago and required surgery. I also have a transverse process (pseudo joint) I was born with at S-1. I was 28 when I had my low back surgery. Now, I am 30 and I have a sudden cervical C6-C7 issue i just had an injection for yesterday.

I have had intermittent small flares of sciatica in my lumbar since my surgery two years ago, but have been relatively pain free. Today, starting this morning, my low back was flaring. Started in low back radiating both sides, definitely sciatica. As the day progressed, the pain and sciatica travelled down both thighs and legs and feet. I never experienced this before my back surgery two years ago. I am in severe pain. Now, I have weakness in my thighs. I read up on Cauda Equina and the pin prick test and used a safety pin to test myself. I have noticeable difference in sensation in both upper thighs and parts of outer genitalia toward buttock. I have reduced urged to go to bathroom - and when i tried, it was very difficult, but I was able to go pee.

I have anxiety about going to doctor for looking stupid and making a fuss. But I am also very worried about how sudden and severe this is. I do think i need to go in given the circumstance. Does anyone have any thoughts?? Thank you for any help - I think I need to go in regardless just to be sure but I am afraid. I was just there for something else a couple days ago and dont want to be labelled a hypochondriac.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.