Health anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had health anxiety for a year now and go through stages. I am convinced I will get cancer and be misdiagnosed. I have had numerous checks all clear but misbelieve them and constantly seek reassurance and it's driving me mad.....

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I completely understand.. I'm the same way, no matter

How small or insignificant my health issue is.. I'm convinced I have cancer.. Test after test show

Nothing wrong but I have a hard time accepting this

As the truth.. I'm always fearful they "missed" something

I recently started seeing a therapist weekly and started

A new medication last week. The therapy has been helpful, I no Longer spend every waking moment focused

On my health and what's wrong. It's a nice reprieve

My best advise is to keep looking for something that

Works for you whether it's therapy, relaxation techniques

Or medicine.. Just keep trying

• Posted

Thank you so much had a scan on fatty lump and convinced myself it's cancer even though been scanned twice and told it's fat.

What therapy do you get?

What medications?

• Posted

I currently on Paxil and it's helping my anxiety

I'm receiving CBT ( cognitive behavioral therapy)

And it's helped significantly ... Wishing you the best

• Posted

I completely understand.. I'm the same way, no matter

How small or insignificant my health issue is.. I'm convinced I have cancer.. Test after test show

Nothing wrong but I have a hard time accepting this

As the truth.. I'm always fearful they "missed" something

I recently started seeing a therapist weekly and started

A new medication last week. The therapy has been helpful, I no Longer spend every waking moment focused

On my health and what's wrong. It's a nice reprieve

My best advise is to keep looking for something that

Works for you whether it's therapy, relaxation techniques

Or medicine.. Just keep trying

• Posted

were you exposed to someone very close to you dying of cancer when you were young?  I lost my cousin to hodgkin's disease when I was only 14... She was 18 or 19 and suffered for a few years with it.  It left me terrified and sure that every pain, lump, discomfort was cancer and it was going to kill me....  I think that experience definitely added to my anxiety about dying... and added cancer to the equation.  

• Posted

I thought so I might have cancer. And lots drs misdiagnosed me many different opinions. Drive me crazy . As they sad there is nothing wrong. Grrr. 
  • Posted

Hi sarah,

I hate anxiety too. everone gets it from time time. are you seeking therapy? if getting constant reasurance is not helping you, how can we help? how can you reasure yourself?  

i lost 3 friends in 2 years, one was my husband, one from suicde in my home and one to cancer. life does end at some point, that is a given for all of us. in the mean time, what can you do to enjoy the time you have left and stop worrying about what might happen?

• Posted

Thank you for your comment I also lost two relatives to cancer so think that's what triggered it. Tried CBT but did not really help and doctor just wanted to give me anti depressants. Am also pre menopausal so hormones don't help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.