Health anxiety

Posted , 103 users are following.

Really suffering and struggling with health anxiety regarding my heart. Is anyone going through anything similar? Thanks

12 likes, 184 replies

184 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear you are suffering.my problems started over a year ago when I suddenly got a pain in my chest I got myself so stressed ended up with dizziness nausea and pain in my left arm got rushed to hospital thinking i had had a heart attack keeped me in overnight and referred me to a cardiologist after several months of tests I got the all clear that was the start of my horrific journey that has so far lasted a year.i know suffer daily dizziness chest pain tingling vision problems shortness of breath ect I'm told it's all anxiety.have you had any tests try not to worry I'm a fine one to talk but it just makes stuff worse take care xx
    • Posted

i have anxiety and i am 12 i feel reaaly upset and sad for no resen whar cuold i do
    • Posted

i also got told not to drink coffee....re caffiene...and to also cut down on drinking tea.....caffiene again....all relating to making the heart beat faster and not to smoke........i did give up thankfully 7 months ago.
    • Posted

Sorry you are scared. Anxiety is very scary. The symptoms cannot hurt you. Can a parent help you get a therapist to help ease your worries?
    • Posted

Thats exactly my symptons too! And im so afraid that its a heart attack or something! But i went to the er over something else recently and got a ekg and blood test done and nothing was wrong. Im so anxious over it
  • Posted

Hi, I know exactly how you feel. I've always been a worrier but in the last few years it has got so bad my anxiety, it's out of control at times now. Almost 4 years ago I got palpitations for the first time after a bump in my caron the motorway. I was taken to hospital, had tests and all ok. Ever since then if I've been anxious etc I've had this symptom. I've been to countless doctors and hospitals, had various tests and all say nothing to worry about. I just can't seem to accept what they're saying because what i feel physically is very real and frightening. I've had a stressful few years for several reasons but since I had my daughter 8 months ago, it has got much worse. My heart skips/extra beats got much worse when I was pregnant and I was referred to a cardiologist, who also said these palpitations were benign and of no concern. Since then I'm absolutely obsessed with anything to do with my heart, it worries me sick. I'm convinced the doctors have missed something serious and I'm literally about to die at any moment. It scares me to even write that sentence!! I had a fairly traumatic birth and my daughter was ill when she was born and this has had a deeply lasting effect on me which nobody understands. The heart racing etc got worse again so I had checks redone with cardiologist, again all ok. I just could not believe him so I involved another cardiologist who doesn't seem concerned either. My family think I've gone a bit mad and are very concerned but they also just tell me to stop it - I wish I could! I'm so desperate to just be me again, I think some of my anxiety is a spin off of post natal depression. It has changed me as a person, I'm not the same. I'm petrified to be alone in case anything happens to me and nobody is around to get me help. I used to love time alone and now I'm like a little child frightened of everything. I've had 12 sessions of cbt and very occasionally take diazepam - the cbt helped for only a short time. I do not want to take tablets as I'm scared of side effects! Every day I've got a new concern about my heart and my drs now sort of fob me off because they're sick of seeing me. Today's worry is my left leg hurts so in my mind, I must have a blood clot etc etc...most people would just think oh I've got a sore leg! I'm so morbid, negative and always see the absolute worst in everyone and every situation. I long to be happy and carefree again. I love my partner and daughter so much I'm absolutely petrified of anything happening to them and us not being together as a family. I worry about their health terribly too, to the point I've thought about making something up,to the dr so my daughter can have tests. My mom, partner and a couple of friends are supportive but I think they're tiring of reassuring me. I'm a classic health anxiety sufferer - I need constant reassurance but it does no,good. The more I'm reassured the more I need it. When I was 6 months pregnant I was suddenly one day consumed with awful ocd thoughts about horrible things happening to my baby, I could not stop crying for days and this is what prompted me to go for cbt. These horrendous thoughts and images did mostly disappear not long after she was born, but I was left with health anxiety. Nobody understands really how hard day to day life is. I do have the odd moment of clarity and I can talk some sense to myself, but I have panic attacks most days, sometimes multiple a day and each one is frightening and makes me feel life is over, after I feel so down and depressed - this does life though and in general I wouldn't describe myself as depressed, just extremely anxious. My therapist said I was someone who hated things out of my control and was frightened of the world, I agree totally with this.i like to be in control and what I'm scared of I can't be, which is why I struggle so much with it.

I feel like this is never going to get better, I'm so miserable and unhappy at the happiest time of my life and it's so upsetting.

Sorry to ramble, but thought it best to explain it all! Thanks Laura x

• Posted

Laura, I went through the terrible panic attacks and anxiety similar to yours. I have to say that if you do not get a handle on this then it will take over your life. I thought that I was going crazy. I went to a Psychiatric Center and talked with the doctor and therapist there. Thank the Lord that I learned through therapy that NOBODY EVER DIED FROM A PANIC ATTACK. Not sure if you believe in God or the Devil but I do and it is just a bunch of lies that the devil wants you to believe. Anyways, you believe your thoughts and your body reacts. So yes it is debilitating physically, I am not crazy, I will be ok and am ok,  THIS GOES FOR YOU TOO! Tell yourself that and believe that because that is rational thinking. BE RATIONAL I rebuke the devil in Jesus's Almighty Name and I know you are stronger because I am too. I questioned my Faith, Sanity, Health and more. I didn't do it on my own without the right person/ therapist helping me and their doctor put me on some meds that actually helped this time. And sometimes I may still get anxious but I THINK RATIONALLY wthich is key to stopping this. Wish you well
    • Posted

I'm exactly the same as you, it's horrible. I'm 17.. Nobody should be going through this terrible illness. Expecially so young. I really do sympothise for you. Hope you get better soon, Courtney x
    • Posted

Hi Laura.....wow i dont know how igot onto this page but its amazing how many people are going through simelar things!. i was reading your letter though it is from 10 months ago....and i was saying...yes thats me....yes thats me lol . i have recently been 'diagnosed' with depression and anxiety problems and have been seeinh a counsellar for about a month. i apparantly have been depressed etc for over 2 years and didnt really know it...the worst was feeling physicaly ill.....tired stressed feeling 'dizzy' not to faint but more like having been on a boat for hours. i didnt know depression could cause all these symptoms. i am lucky as i have not had a panic attack. about 6 months ago i kept feeling my heart...skip or miss a beat every 2 minutes or so...i had ecg etc an they told me all was ok and it happened sometimes. then the other night for no reason my heart beat went very fast and my heart was 'skipping' every 3 beats then 7 beats 10 beats ...2 beats etc. i tried to slow down my heart rate by sitting down etc but after 10 mins it hadnt stopped i rang nhs 111 an they told me to go to a an e. all the routine stuff...blood test ecg and they kept me in overnight. of course the ecg was just a 'snap shot' and it was nt doing it then and heart rate had come down. thyroid test came back ok. they makin me app to see cardiologist after xmas but still leaves me sat ..'lirstening' to heart beat. they told me to go back to a an e if it happens again...but doc said this was just to see if they could get it on an ecg. i went to docs today to try tablets ...got citalopram...but when i read leaflet itsaid do not take if have had episodes of irregular heart beat!!. i rang doc to check an reply came back that it was ok to take them ! now im in a dilema...lol.as i am anxious enough without having to worry about side effects etc etc.and wether tablets would make heart beats etc worse.  i think i am more anxious than depressed but its all a vicious circle as you know. no matter what anyone tells you you cant believe them. it does feel like you are never going to get better....and it affects everything. the only good thing is both my sisters have been through depression and have come out the other side...they keep saying to me....you WILL get better. sorry to go on i do hope you have improved :0
    • Posted

Hello,Lucy hope that you are feeling better, I am having uper chest pain between my shoulder blades and upset stomach, I had test done about 8 months ago and they all came out ok. I searched upper back pain and it said it cound be my heart I am so worried that something is going to happen. I hope is something else
    • Posted

This can be anything ranging from indigestion to anxiety. Just go to a docter again and tell him you fear it may be your heart. He will listen to your symptoms, run a test or two and will confirm about your problem. It doesn't sounds like its your heart but still the best way to calm your mind is to visit a docter. After that you may read other peoples posts here which will help you a lot.
    • Posted

Wow this is the exact same as me!!! I'm so glad I found this site .. I feel like I'm dying everyday I'm 19 I keep having bad palpatiions I have anxiety and suffer from bad anxiety and "health anxiety" I got a headache I must have a bleed to the brain in I got pains in my legs it's blodclots travelling to my lung!! I hate it. My main thing is my HEARTsad(
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear you've been through this, I'm going through exact same as this, I've been like this for around 3 month now, it's been so hard, I keep thinking something is wrong with me & each day there's some kind of different pain there & when I think about what could happen I send my sel into a panic attack & that makes me so scared I've been back and forth from doctors which I'm actually scared of & I'm in propranolol for my anxiety to keep me relaxed but it doesn't always work but I'm also scared to take any tablets incase of side effects, it's nice to hear some one that understands.

• Posted

There are a few books. Peace from nervous suffering and worried sick by Dr Fredrick Neuman. Covers all the health anxiety issues. I too suffered years ago and was worry free until all my friends died in the last year. 10 deaths is a lot and it has brought on my obsession for heart and blood clot worries. I plan to read the books and beat this . Good Luck.
    • Posted

Laura, there is no need for me to write my story now... You just did it for me. All except the anxiety around my daughter's birth and health. It's all about me, my heart worries (nothing is wrong, but it sure feels like it is). My biggest unnerving part is 24/7 hearing my heartbeat in my ear. I cannot escape it.
    • Posted

Hey, I know you wrote this 7 months ago but how are you? I am 19 and have been suffering for 3 months and I'm just fed up of it, I know what you mean, I get pain in fingers and think it's blood clots, pains in my side is kidney failure, headache is bleed on brain, but the worst is my heart, I feel like it's just going to stop at any second, how did you deal with it? I'm even considering hypnotherapy or behavioural therapy. I've had blood tests, ecg's and it's all come up fine! Im just so fed up of feeling like this. It's having a big affect on my life in university and even my relationship, I just feel like I am losing control
    • Posted

Hi laura,I know this post is old,but I was wandering how u r feeling now??Everything u wrote is exactly what I'm going through & my anxiety is all due to my 4 year old now,having heart surgery when he was 1 month old...I would like to know how u r doing now!I have had anxiety for 4 1/2 years,did fine on med for 4 years,got off of it this past may...had to start it again 5 weeks ago cause my anxiety came back worse!!!!
    • Posted

God love your heart, I am so sorry you are going through all this.. No one should ever feel the way you are feeling on a daily basis. My nephew started feeling this way about 5 months ago, and it's so hard on him. He is only 16 and he thinks that he is dying, literally dying he says. I try to talk to him and so does the rest of our family, but we have never had to deal with someone with anxiety before. And we have no idea what to say to make him feel better or even make him believe that he's not dying.

The part about your sore leg and you think it's a blood clot, he does the same thing. He can have a sore throat and he gets so scared that he has throat cancer. My heart goes out to you and everyone that has to go through this. May God bless you and return you to the person you once was...

• Posted

Hi Laura, I've read so many forums but I just had to join this to make contact with you. I too am a health anxiety sufferer and at times it takes over my life. I've had every concern from ms, cancer, DVT, to my one tonight which is my heart. I'm a single mum in the uk with 2 children who I'm terrified of leaving. If you'd like to chat more over email please let me know, listening to your story was like reading my own. Take care - Linda xx
    • Posted

Hi linda, i came on here today and noticed you're the only one who has been on here recently so figured I might reach out to you. I also suffer from health anxiety and thought maybe you and I could email if you wanted.. If so, feel free to email me.

Its so hard finding people that actually have this!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi,

I wanted to reply to your message because I saw you wrote you hear your heartbeat in you ear. I do as well and it's driving me crazy. I had it bad in the past and it went away and now it's back. I also have palpitations really bad right now. I'm worried and ready to run to the ER.

It helps though to read about others going through the same stuff you have and that it's not as serious as we tend to think.

• Posted

Hi Laura, I suffer with the same thoughts you do 😣 are you on Facebook? Would you like to talk so we can help each other?

Thanks

Jodie

• Posted

Hi, not sure if you'll see this because it's been over a year since your post, but I frequently have tightness and pains in my left chest, mostly at night. My heart will race and I'll get what I can only describe as a hollow feeling in my entire chest. I made several visits to the ER and was given the all clear. Finally asked to try a prescription. I was prescribed a drug called Vistaril, which is mainly for anxiety. It has worked wonders for me and it has virtually no side effects except for mild dry mouth. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it will work the same for you, but I suggest you give it a try! God bless from a fellow sufferer!

• Posted

Hi Linda. I just registered on this site and saw your post. I would love to talk to you if you are still looking for others suffering with this. Not only do I have health anxiety but my 16 year old is having a terrible time right now and it is so hard for me to deal with!! Please email me if you would like to chat.

Terri

• Posted

Hi laura, you have literally written this on my behalf its scary how everything you said is 100% me.

Would be great to talk if you could reply or get in touch so we can talk.

Just realised this is an old post i hope you get this x

• Posted

This exactly wat happened to me ?? Pregnancy and everything 😕 I’m a mother of 3 and I’m terrified of dying and them being alone 😞 please someone reply. I’ve had multiple test for my heart all have come back clear. Currently i am terrified of having a abdominal aortic aneurysm. I am 19 years old I don’t wanna die and leave my babies. 

• Posted

Hi Linda...

Don't know if u will get this

I'm from Canada. Mother of 2 young kids, suffering from bad health anxiety 

Lately it's my heart. Heart palps and it's fluttering. I'm terrified

If u want to chat my email is

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hello there Anita .. my name is Alex .. I’m 19yrs old and I am a mother of 3 and experience the same things u feel.. I too think I have heart problems at such a young age and I am terrified 😕

• Posted

I know how u feel Alex

And ur soooo young. Ur fine

But it's so scary. So r days I can't enjoy anything bc I think my heart will stop or some other terrible thing

Last couple of weeks it's my heart. I always hear it beating and it flutters. Then I feel chest tightness for hours. Scariest thing in the world. 

I've had blood tests tests and an ekg in February but  I'm not convinced 

Wish i could b normal 

• Posted

Yes it is rather terrible. I’ve come to expect tat it’s all anxiety lately. I’ve had many many test done for my heart and all have come back normal. U gotta know how to cope with it. Or it’s gunna eat u. Some days r better than others trust me I know. I too can’t enjoy days with my family or friends either and that’s what kills me he most 😕 but we’re okay as far as all the test we’ve gotten done.. u have to learn and expect it 💖

• Posted

Hi laura, i know this is an old post just wondered how your getting on?

Everything you said in your post is like i written it. Im so freighted daily over my heart i seen a cardiologist got the all clear no concerns i have mild trisprid regurgatation and trace buscaprid regurg and its a normal finding. Im scared of dying sad im at my whits end. I want to feel normal and not be on edge daily. Its a daily torture in my head and im

Exhausted. X

• Posted

Yes on and off because I hate the danm side affects 😕 I’m on lexapro it works good ur body just has to get use to it .. are u on any medication? 

• Posted

Hi, I was wondering of you still have these symptoms today? Ive been like this for the past 3 months its making me crazy, im always anxious and worried that anything i eat or drink will cause me a heart attack
    • Posted

I'm the same as you, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder two years ago but I think I have health anxiety because when I get some physical sensations I feel like there's something wrong for example the tingling sensation in my hands and feet- I believed it to be a stroke, turns out it was stress and anxiety. This was all brought on by me worrying constantly about my heart - I've had two EKG's and they are normal and told me I had a lot of worry stress and anxiety going on sad I know how you feel!! Also I've only slept for a few hours for the last few nights

• Posted

I also get palpitations, sweating, arm pain down my left hand side, leg pain, chest pain, stomach pain 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.