Health Anxiety Driving Me Insane

Posted , 8 users are following.

i am constantly terrified there is something wrong with my body. if i'm not worrying about my heart, i'm terrified of any form of cancer (e.g. i have a canker ulcer in my mouth and a lie bump on my tongue and i am having panic attacks that it's cancer). 

i am so, so tired and done with these feelings to the point where i want to cry and run away from my own head because i am constantly wrapped up in it. i've been in therapy (from CBT to psychiatry) for over four years now and while it's helped a bit, my anxiety still flares up. i've tried multiple different medication (all with no effect/worsened my anxiety) and i am at a complete loss. any advice would be great, thank you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I know EXACTLY how you feel. You can't get out of your own head. It is exhausting. I believe cancer is a hard lump, not a canker ulcer or bump. I have thought the same thing though. I understand. I have gone to the doctor for numerous things. Every time it has bern nothing. Anxiety fuels the fire. I can tell you that reading about health anxiety helps me. That might help. Reading about health anxiety helps me see that just because you think it, it doesnt mean its the truth.

• Posted

Hi Holly, welcome to the forums.  I know how you feel - have had lifelong anxiety, lots of health anxiety, want to run away from my own mind, too, at times.  The only advice I have is to keep looking for what will help you.  You will find it.  I am slowly getting there.  It's good that the therapy is helping you some, too.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth I also suffer from

Health anxiety been with me now for 8 years how are you coping I been on antidepressants and diazapam small dose went see phychatrist 2 week ago he said I got anxiety with somatic symptoms he upped my citalpram from 10-20mg but I still not took 20mg as that's another anxiey taking tablets I am taking a10mg and cutting the other in half so doing 15mg he also said he would think I would be put up to highest dose 40mg and come of the diazapam I waiting for 12 week course CBT 1 hour a week I really trying hard walking 3 mile every morning going out in day joining classes at local community centre / I not been in work since end March not sure if it will make me worse going back to work I eating healthier what things are you doing and any advice would be great I really want to be free from this I am 54 years old now and been 8-9 years like this xxx

• Posted

I haven't been on any medication yet and am looking into other options.  I'm also trying to improve diet and exercise but am in perimenopause and have Crohn's disease, too.  Not easy.  I do think eating healthier is great and enjoy walking, too.  I try to get in 3 miles of walking daily.

• Posted

Hi Liz

I think I am also in perimenopause and have health anxiety. I am terrified of cancer and feel I am going crazy. Has anything helped you?

• Posted

Have you tried therapy for ocd? Are the meds the same for ocd i dont know. Maybe your not treating the correct issues
    • Posted

i'm not entirely sure if i even have ocd/i don't know the symptoms. is it something i should talk to my therapist about?

• Posted

Think about it for a moment. Think what ocd is.You check the body, you check the pulse, you probably look in the mirror and check your eyes, your coloring, you are checking. Check check check. You have had exams, doesnt matter right? You have to check because if you dont something catastrophic can Happen and you say it was your fault for not checking. So you keep checking. It is everyday all the time. Wouldnt that be ocd. People with ocd do this to "protect" themselves in some way. Its an urge, its a thought its uncontrollable.And then there is the obsession end if this as well. Obsessed you have an illness that if you do not catch now will cause your death. Maybe some therapy doesn't work because the doctor isnt thinking all this thru and provding the proper therapy or meds alike. It can co exist with any anxiety disorder and rationalized out as well i have anxiety but its now complicated the anxiety disorder or is a part of it. I dont know but there is absolutely an ocd issue here.

• Posted

How long did you give the meds to work? Some of these meds give you worse anxiety before you get better. First when I started taking sertraline, the anxiety was so intense I thought I was totally going crazy. I pushed through it and so glad I did
    • Posted

i gave each of them 6months - typically 8. it was only when my psychiatrist took me off them did i stop taking them
  • Posted

Hi Holly,

I not only work in Mental Health but I also have a form of OCD (which is an anxiety disorder) which makes me constantly concerned I'm ill. One thing I tend to do is go to the doctors and ask them to tell me outright that there is nothing seriously wrong. Worrying let me to develop a stress related pain syndrome in the area of my body I was worrying about.

I always say this on every post because I'm a huge believer in it. Try doing some Mindfulness exercises when your anxiety is significantly high. I also wonder if medication may not be working because it is only a short term fix, it will not treat the underlying disorder and whatever has caused it. Sort of like sticking a plaster over a broken bone? You might need a different therapy, or to look at things from another angle with your doctor.

Hope this is of help. smile

• Posted

If you have health anxiety, I am wondering why meds aren't working for you. Are you giving them enough time to work. I  understand there has to be a starting point., but med number 2 should have helped. Did you start with your family doc,then go to psychiatry. I would think your family doc would have been able to get you started on something,and go from there. There is one that will work for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.