Health anxiety flared up again

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anxiety produces too many symptoms that mimic serious health problems and it's causing me to be paranoid as ever. Now I feel so weak and fatigued, not getting a good night's rest, random chest pains... Sometimes my stomach burns so I think it's pancreatic cancer. My spine and foot hurt so I think metastasized bone cancer. My nails look weird... Vertical ridges so I think some other disease. My stomach bloats after eating so I assume GERD or digestive problems. My voice was also hoarse for a while but it's normal again but I thought it was throat cancer. I was also tingling in hands and feet / restless leg syndrome. So I thought I had diabetes. Oh and also liver cancer!

Why am I like this? I don't want to die any time soon, I'm only 18 !

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gabbi

Anxiety is...what anxiety does! It may sound trite, but as it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, it's a matter of control; something that, when you're grappling with it doesn't seem possible!

Think of it as this then; as your mind's way of telling stories. Why? Because of your experiances, the outside world, your still-fresh childhood (that can go on an unnaturally long time!), the pressures you are under or feel you're under....much the same thing. So how do you break this? Look away. Ignore the messages. Don't give credence to them by giving them your valuable time.

Thoughts may come into our heads - it's up to us to either take note or dismiss them. Alas, most thoughts do not serve us, but are borne of anxieties or hurts or sensitivities. But you can CHOOSE which thoughts you'll 'hear' - just takes practice. Doesn't mean it's easy, but give it a good shot...you'll soon see who's in charge, and feel better for it!

• Posted

Hi gabbi, sorry to hear about that.  I have crohns disease, And got a flare up of vulva. It is difficult, cancer. I hope you find some counselling.
  • Posted

Yep. That's why health anxiety is so hard to beat. Because health anxiety produces all the symptoms of diseases you fear the most. And it's so hard to believe that the symptoms can be caused by it. It's like an ever-ending circle. Hope you get better soon
  • Posted

There's so many types of anxiety and this particular type only enhances your anxiety more. I have this as well and think every ache or tiny pain is some kind of death sentence laying in wait to take me out. It's very difficult to ignore I know but you have youth on your side and the chances that you have any truly fatal type diseases are likely slim to none.

Try to understand that anxiety is a thief in the night and a shape shifter by trade. Whatever your fears are anxiety will magnify them 1000× and rob ypu of your well being. Keep fighting the good fight, get a physical with your GP to put your worries at bay and believe the doctor knows what he's talking about when he tells you you're physically ok.

Best of luck to you!

Teresa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.