Health anxiety really bad--I don't have health insurance so how do I ease my worries?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I just recently had a terrible bout of sinusitis and an ear infection. While I'm mostly recovered from that, I found that after getting healthy, my brain started to think about cancer constantly. I had a lymph node puff up in my neck from the cold. It has since gone all the way down, but that led me to touching other things and worrying about brain cancer, breast cancer, etc. Every pang I feel I worry about. 

I was just laid off in a round of mass firings at my job, and my life in general has been rocky for the last year or so...so I understand that my anxiety is likely caused by this and that I am not in fact dying of anything. My aunt was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor, and my friend just went through a bout of chemo for breast cancer, so I'm assuming it's probably tied to that. Then I feel bad for being so selfish, bc the likelihood that anything is wrong with me in slim. I continue to worry excessively, and even working out every day is not helping alleviate all of my symptoms. 

I can't afford to go to a doctor and even if I could the wait to get in is far too long. 

Does anyone have any advice? I am so tired of the constant ruminations. I know they are there, so that's helpful. But I feel like I'm rarely living in the present. I am also anti-medication, (aside from 5-HTP) so that limits my options. Any postive thinking advice anyone can give me would be welcomed?

Also, Google is the effing devil. I cannot tell you how many times I've googled a symptom over the last month or so. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That is the million dollar question.  You did not mention your age. Anyway..You have internet available. Go on utube and search anxiety, panic, ocd, health anxiety and learn everything you can. IF you can ..get an anxiety workbook to guide you. Look at some meditations, takes practice to even do. Mindful exercises and ts okay if it gets to prayer too. This disorder gets to the soul. It is a mal function and they are researching it now hard. It was ignored, swept under the rug forever until maybe twenty years ago so the research is new. Mris are out since 1977 so they dont even know how everything works either. They do think within the next decade they will have a fix. They do. So thats hopeful. Until then...

cbt workbook. I think dbt is better but i dont know if they sell those workbooks. Learn all  you can  literally live in the moment. One day at a time. People with anxiety disorders /ocd are the worst what if thinkers there are, the worst predictors because they see it all as negative. Find a low anxiety job. L theanine is calming too.

its a journey out of all this. It just is. Its cruel. Dr. google is a moron so dont even bother with that anymore. It is not self empowering to google symptoms its self sabotageand fear based. And even if you had insurance and went they flag you with anxiety anyway. Especially when you explained what you googled haha. Then they look at you like they never heard if anything you are saying.

What you do need is a therapist but since you are uninsured at this time all you can do is learn everything you can. Theres no fix or reset button in existence as yet. There will be. 

The most  positive thing i can offer you  a strong mindet will help you figure all this out and at least help to self calm you. Knowledge on all this is the only way to help the mindset. It removes the mystery.

• Posted

Thank you for you thoughtful response Lisa. I know I need a therapist but I also know that I'm in a high stress situation and that's likely causing and/or contributing to my inability to let go of phantom pangs and stop searching for bumps and on my head.

I did some googling about health anxiety and I've actually done CBT in the past. The tough thing for me is really challenging my behaviors and putting a stop to the endless Googling.

Can you take L-theanine with 5-htp? I'll do some research on that and give it a shot. All I know is I gotta try something different or I'm going to constantly not be living in the moment.

• Posted

You have a really good attitude. You will find your way out of this. Youll see. Time and patience. You can go into a vitamin shop and ask about interaction or i think they have an interaction checker somewhere online, im sorry about your no insurance situation i hooe you find a low anxiety job soon. Our (usa) country needs change to where it cares about its people more then its wallet. Everyone else first world has seem to figure that out already.
    • Posted

So true re: healthcare in the US. I might consider going to Urgent Care as I do have health insurance through the end of this month. Just sharing my issues might be helpful to me...even if it's not with a GP.

In the past I've struggled with anxiety (fwiw I'm 35, no health issues in the past beyond depression/anxiety). I think I'm using this as a time filler for what is really troubling me. That said there are some lingering smaller health issues I do need to tackle. I have a little pimple-like thing on my scalp under my hair, which I know is normal but I'd like to get it removed, in addition to some cavities that are overdue for filling. Beyond that, I shouldn't really panic bc I don't have symptoms (beyond some anxiety induced stress headaches) to worry about.

Working out everyday has helped me A LOT. I think if I just try some mindfulness and deep breathing, and continue to challenge my thoughts I'll be okay. Also the L-theanine. Again, thank you!

• Posted

Hi Beth. I just wanted to say that, after reading your post and hearing your story, you sound like a really lovely and very thoughtful person. You also sound like you have a very good handle on your anxiety because you can spot the links between stressful life events and your own behaviour. That being said, it is still hard for us to manage anxiety even when we are fully aware of it.

Knowing of people who are (or have been,) ill is likely to trigger health anxiety and the extent of this will likely differ from person to person. I can completely relate to you as his has happened to myself.

I would really recommend counselling because it can help greatly in teaching you how to better manage your health anxiety.

I noticed that you feel a sense of guilt over your feelings, and in my experience this will only add to your stresses.

It is alright to fear your own mortality, especially when you have been confronted with illness via friends and family. It is natural.

It is even natural to worry about yourself.

You aren't selfish at all.

• Posted

Thank you SO much for your kind words. They honestly helped alleviate almost all of my HA for the remainder of the day. Also, I am in Chicago for an interview and it's so bitterly cold right now that it's legit impossible to think about anything other than staying warm. smile

Especially regarding feeling guilty: It AWLAYS makes it worse. You're feeling awful, and the guilt just adds an extra layer of awful. Like a cherry on top or something. 

I will definitely get counseling once I find another position. The good thing is that I have lots of "irons in the fire" (lol, hate that metaphor...but true), and I have 2 interviews tomorrow so hopefully that will be rectified shortly. 

Again, I cannot thank you enough, I love that boards like this exist. It's a great stop gap to find like minds who understand. Hugs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.