Health improving and PIP claim

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am claiming PIP standard daily living and high rate mobility after suffering an illness 12 months ago and not recovering. I am currently having investigations and tests for a diagnosis. In the last couple of weeks I have started to improve although slowly it is something.  Does anyone know how quickly I should inform DWP of any imrpovment?  I'm worried and informing them straight away to find I'm not recovering as much as I first thought. Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Holly,

I guess it would be down to you, is it a very substantial improvement? or is there a chance you could end end worse in, say a month?

Your allowed 4 weeks in hospital before notifying them, but on health improving I am pretty sure you could either lose part of your claim or all of it, depending how well you are now compared to the initial assessment.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks Les.

The pip assessment and award was based on my worst days which were occurring at least once a week. I've not had this as often for the lease couple of weeks and although I still have mobility problems, I'm managing to get about a bit using crutches. Think I've still a long way to go if I do improve. As it took so long to sort my claim I don't want to risk telling them without giving my recovery a proper chance first. Obviously as soon as I feel like it is a proper improvement I will inform them but didn't know if there were any sort of rules on these things.

• Posted

Hi Holly,

If that's the case, then Holly - I would not inform them of any changes yet, not until you know for definate that you're recovering at a steady pace, and there will be no way that you become worse at any point.

Remember, you can feel better in yourself, but sometimes this is short-lived - and then you would have regretted making the decision too soon.

Some illnesses or disorders can take literally months to recover fully, I should know - I have been at deaths door three times now. The last one I was dying from the inside out, part of my intestines had turned gangrene, I spent nearly one month in the hospital and over 10 months to fully recover (that is what they said to me!), yet I am still recovering now, over 4 years later! and still attending hospital outpatients.

There are somethings you cannot put timing figures on, you do not know what the future holds. I wish I did...

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Ok that's great. You've been really helpful, thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Can I jump in here?

award was based on my worst days which were occurring at least once a week

An award is supposed to be based on more than 50% of the days.

Additionally you are required to show good days as well. Admitting that you have based your claim on only one day out of a week and now saying that that day is seeing improvements, in my opinion you are in danger of having the whole award being taken off you and maybe being prosecuted for benefit fraud.

You should never claim a disability benefit based entirely on your worst days - doing so would leave the DWP with the impression that every day is 'a worst day'. 

• Posted

Hi Les,

Holly has stated, and I quote:

"I've not had this as often for the lease couple of weeks and although I still have mobility problems, I'm managing to get about a bit using crutches. Think I've still a long way to go if I do improve."

From that statement, I personally would assume that she is only pointing to a very slight difference from her original assessment. She is still on crutches and nowhere near 100% recovered.

It would be a completely different matter, if she was able to walk much better.

Holly, stated a "bit" better - that to me, is not enough to warrant a major change to her PIP Award. Her condition could become worse at any point, that would mean going through whole rigmarole again.

"Benefit Fraud", now that is going a bit too far to say the least - you certainly would not go from Enhanced Mobility to perpetrating Benefit Fraud - that is a huge jump, when she only stated a "bit" better! eek

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thank you for your comment.

My good/better days consisted of being unable to get out of the house as unable to walk any more than a very short distance, unable to stand in the shower, unable to prepare any meals unless something very simple etc. My worse days consisted of me being confined to bed, unable to eat, unable to walk or stand at all, unable to get dressed and having to be given insulin injections by my partner as physically unable to do this myself. I explained all of this to the person carrying out my atos assessment and dwp awarded me what they did. I am now having less of the worse days although only over the last 2 weeks and therefore more of the better days for which I am still pretty much housebound although I do manage to get out slightly better with the aid of the crutches. I am definitely not claiming fraudulently and the reason for my post was to ask a question to check that I continue to follow proper procedure as I would never claim benefit that I was not entitled to.

• Posted

Holly its hard enough to get the PIP in the first place, if theres any chance your illness is likely to get worse or as you say you may not recover as quick as you hoped. I wouldnt be to hasty in giving it all up, not yet anyway. 

Sue 

• Posted

Thanks very much for your reply. Much appreciated!
    • Posted

Holly ive sent you a private message  

Sue x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.