hearing getting worse?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi is it possible to get benifits hearing going worse.  use hearing aid making me feel depressed dosnt stay on my ear been audio new fitting still the same might be better if could afford privite one like spec savers cheapest one around five hundred pounds wonder if loan payments come with it.  I personally dont think its right that a 60 year old can get one for free.  Not happy mother in law had one for nothing nothing wrong with her?  really gets on my nerves i work i dont think I should have to with having a serious illness.get nothing for it people on benifits get more then me ?.rubish universal credit comming out next year might get even less money then.. wonder why ive had enough going WORK...stupid family issues..rather put myself at high risk being very sick working. not right.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracy

Are you saying you have a serious illness besides being deaf, if so you can maybe get dla for that. The question of getting benefit for being deaf is quite controversial. Many have tried and been refused. It seems to depend on how your deafness affects your life, even though hearing is a bodily function. I have a claim in for attendance allowance and have had to appeal to the justices for a decision.

Hearing aids that fit are usually supplied at you local ENT department after your hearing loss has been assessed

• Posted

unfortunatly i would not qualify becasuse i am working dont look like im ill. I have discoid lupus an incurable auto immune disease which no one can relate to unless they have the condition. not heard of very much which causes confussion in relationships? if they dont get it i wont get  benifits.  I look very well now but i will get worse lupus rash  on my face effects my ears sometimes etc hair loss   if i go to specsavers i was wondering how you pay for a hearing aid what might work better?.  dont mind paying loan? cant afford cash or use credit card being ill.
  • Posted

Many people are getting thrown off DLA and PIP and have to go in front of a non-medical board. This is not fair, as it should have proper doctors on the Board. Too many cut backs in UK. Only the rich can afford things like that. Would you still have to pay if your GP referred you to a hearing loss clinic?    I told my doctor the other day that I was suffering hearing loss  and he asked me if there was any sign of blood. I said no, and that was the end of that part of the conversation. My son went for a hearing test some time back at a proper ENT unit run by the NHS when he was working (referred by GP) and never had to pay for the test, but he wasn't deaf, it was some sort of brain thing not recognising certaub sounds, so there was nothing to be done. I am 72 and on the highest rate of DLA and would probably get it free if I needed a hearing aid. Then again, I worked from 15 yrs old until I retired at 58 due to ill health, with a 5 year break when I had my 2 sons, so have paid my dues during my working life.
  • Posted

All nhs hearing+ assessment is free, and I have 2 aids for free. And do my receive any benefits
  • Posted

Hi Tracy,Sorry to hear about your problem.

I have a by-cros hearing aid which is a conventional hearing aid for one ear and a transmitter for the othe ear which sends sound to the hearing aid (wifi).I hear very little in the one ear so the transmitter picks up sound and sends it to the hearing aid in my better ear..Do you have a mould fitted for your ear or a multi sized one made to fit without having a mould taken? My sister had this problem in Berkshire and now ,eventually ,she has one that has her own mould.Like you I find deafness can be depressing but I tell people my roblem and I find them very hhelpful.We all have t try and make the best of things.I receive no benefits..All my treatment is free NHS

• Posted

Hi Tracy,You are  not alone in having complex conditions and they can be so difficult to manage and get the correct help for.I can only say that my deafness is caused by a benign brain tumour. As result I am deaf and I also have balance issues plus hypertension,lupus(not really troublesome to me) and what is severe back pain at times.I can only say that the NHS has been  and is wonderful.I have excellent treatment.When I first lost my hearing I was very depressed as I seemed to miss everthing that was going on around me.I  position myself carefully and lipread whenever possible.Yes, I do ask my friends to move their hands so I can see their lips(they do it automatically now).I laughingly tell people I am deaf not daft and they all nod wisely.I'm not sure if they agree with me or not.What ever is wrong we must ask for help ,hopefully receive it, and then live our lives as best we can.I always think that there are people worse off than me.You didn't reply regarding the hearing aid you have.The digital ones from the NHS are as good as the cheaper private ones. Just make sure that you have one wth a mould made for your ear and one for each ear if possible.Keep smiling,losing your hearing is depressing but you do graduallyaccept it and carry on as best you can. .
    • Posted

Hi Audrey, just had my first watch and wait rescan and according to what I was told over phone, nothing has changed, hope they will follow up with more info, but feel much happier now, perhaps it will stop growing completely.

Have ultrasound booked for sometime in Nov for boney lump on outside of skull same place as tumor, but no one seems concerned about that.

Next week will try to arrange private consultation for cataract surgery, just can't wait 12 months nhs, need to drive..

Your right with your advice to tracy, very sound advice..

It was nice to see your response, all us 'deafies' must pool our experience,s.Cheers. Del

• Posted

Hi Delphine,It's good to hear that things are going well.I had a couple of years of 'w&w' and it was a shock to discover that thngs had moved on.The Gamma Knife treatment went well but I was tired afterwards.Sadly on February23rd(etched on my memory) Rotary Vertigo hit me right out of the blue.I had been assured that it was a rare side effect 5/6 months post treatment.For 3 months I groped my way round the house moving as lttle as possible.I still had 4 dogs to care for.It gradually improved and I was able to drive again but open spaces make me feel as if nothing is holding me upright.It is slowly improving.I am waiting for some therapy now to help me and my brain to compensate.My balance is still a little strange and sometimes I think people must imagine I am slightly  drunk - am not.I hope that you get your cataract sorted  very soon,I  really  hope too that your neuroma does decide not to grow,fingers crossed.

Cheers Audrey

• Posted

Hi Audrey, that all sounds a bit of a nightmare, so I will hope for non growth, my option is surgery and that also has many problems.

I have applied for attendance allowance ,been rejected and have gone to tribunal. Did you ever go that way?

I also look a bit drunk on times ans suffer with severe fatigue.

Will be in touch if I hear more, cheers del

• Posted

Hi Delphine,Yes it has been a problem but I feel as if I am through the worst now.Eight hour surgery was never an option for me,I don't think  I would have taken it anyway. Is Gamma Knife not applicable for you? I have no allowances of any kind nor have I requested any.Take care Audrey
  • Posted

I have a free nhs hearing aid from ent clinic. fits in side my hear but i have problem fitting on top behind my ears ? falls of sometimes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.