Heart flutter

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone experience heart palpitations? I am on a relatively low dose (4.5 q.d.) of Prednisone now but have been on it almost 2 years. I had these years ago going through menopause but not so consistently. No other symptoms like s.o.b. or dizziness. Just this fluttering.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I too have had heart palpatations Gail. Initially my doctor said they were not a common side effect of pred, sent me away and I wasn't to worry. Well, that's like telling the sun not to shine especially when you feel as if you are going into cardiac arrest. I've seen evidence elsewhere which says they can be caused by pred. Now that my dose has been lowered they seem to be subsiding. I was on 30 mg when they started and now on 25. I still get them but not as vicious or as often. We are all so different that it may be a side effect but it's well worth having it checked out by the doc.  
    • Posted

That is interesting, my rheumy said palpitations were very common and was surprised I did not get them with pred! 
    • Posted

Hehee this just confirms that my gp is a numpty when it comes to PMR  and the side effects of pred. I have found another at the surgery who is very clued up to it and so I really think I will be seeing her in future.
    • Posted

I knew it was caused by the pred as I had nothing untoward during bed time, or on rising and about 2 hours after taking my meds bippity bop off it went. They got really bad during exertion and strangely enough after eating. As the evening wore on they started to subside uintil the next dose of pred next morning. Now you don't have to have a PHD to suss that one out do you?
    • Posted

The sad thing is there seem to be quite a lot of numpties about! You are lucky that there is a non numpty around though.
  • Posted

Strangely, I had them before diagnosis and as long as I don't rush about too much I am not so susceptible now. I have changed to decaf teas, coffee etc which has also helped. Had an ECG which was fine. GP has said to go straight to surgery or local community hospital when it happens. It doesn't happen for long enough now to catch it. Have been offered a heart monitor but unless it becomes troublesome again I will leave it but I think it is prudent to have it checked.
    • Posted

All I had to do was take a sarni with me to the surgery and within 15 minutes there they were! They did show on the ecg but despite feeling horrendous, they were described as "not bad" and "uninteresting" So like you, all caffeine is gone, no running around, no shouting at question time on the telly and I don't have very sweet things as that seems to bring it on. He gave me some beta blockers to take if it remained very bad but the pharamcist disputed the instructions "take when necessary" as she said beta blockers are not used like that. I haven't used them at all as they lower the heart rate and when I'm normal My heart rate is a lovely purring 58 beats per minute so I don't want that any lower thankyou. Doc's insisted I go for a heart scan just to be sure but if lessening the dose has helped as well as caffeine dumping then by the time I get to the appointment I should be down another 5mg and maybe just maybe they will be gone! I'm loathe to get into the clutches of another hospital department if it isn't necessary.
    • Posted

I wholeheartedly agree. Like you I am loathe to go near any hospital department or take any unnecessary medication. I prefer to do whatever is necessary to avoid the problem! Interestingly, I had them when I had coxsackie B virus followed by ME and it  eventually ceased. That was nearly 40 years ago.
    • Posted

I have aged myself by 10 years😢 It was nearly 30 years ago not 40!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.